Refine Search Clear All
Axion Dark Matter Experiment - Postdoctoral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 05/07/2021
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher in the field of dark matter direct detection with a focus on cryogenic microwave resonator and quantum detector development for the Axion Dark Matter Experiment (ADMX), a DOE “Generation 2” dark matter project. The successful candidate will support current ADMX operations and data analysis. Additionally, they can expect to take an active leadership role in the development of cavity and superconducting quantum readout technologies for planned higher frequency upgrades to ADMX.
In this role you will
- Lead the design, construction, testing, and delivery of large volume multicavity microwave resonator systems for ADMX as part of the DOE Dark Matter New Initiative program.
- Develop sensitive cryogenic detector systems at LLNL for research in superconducting materials and designs in support of future axion searches and quantum information technologies.
- Participate in hardware installation and data acquisition for the currently operating ADMX experiment.
- Develop analyses for ADMX science data, including investigation of new techniques such as machine learning and Bayesian methods.
- Document and publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Perform independent (but complementary) research and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to provide solutions for experimental physics questions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in experimental physics or a related field.
- Familiarity with design, characterization, control, or simulation of microwave resonator systems and/or superconducting quantum circuits.
- Experience with Cryogenic and Vacuum systems, with an emphasis on radio frequency measurements.
- Experience with control software and data analysis in python or a similar programming language.
- Ability to work independently on technical tasks, influence technical objectives, to provide in depth analysis, and develop unique technical solutions.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to interact with a diverse set of scientists, engineers and other technical and administrative staff.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a team environment, prepare written reports and present and explain technical information.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with CST Microwave Studio, Ansys High Frequency Structure Simulator (HFSS), Comsol or other related microwave modeling tools.
- Experience with fabrication and materials characterization of superconducting cavity systems for accelerators and/or quantum readout.
- Experience with signal detection and noise reduction in high background environments, ideally for dark matter or rare event searches.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.