Refine Search Clear All
Principal Material Handler
Business Operations | livermore, CA | 05/08/2021
Job Code: 462.3 Principal Material Handler
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Principal Material Handler to perform difficult and complex material handling duties in the Supply and Distribution Division. You will be responsible for performing material handling duties related to the receipt of materials, parts, supplies, and equipment. You will serve as a principal resource in the area of work assignment; Receiving & Distribution, Shipping, or Mail Services. This position is in the Asset Management Department.
In this role you will
- Perform difficult and complex material handling tasks in compliance with applicable Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) procedures and federal, state, and local environmental, safety and health regulations.
- Receive, separate, sort, inspect, and process materials and containers requiring special handling, in compliance with applicable LLNL/Asset Management Department policies and procedures, the Packaging and Transportation Safety (PATS) Committee Quality Assurance Manual, and federal, state, and local environmental, safety and health regulations.
- Provide information in response to inquiries and solve diverse and multi-faceted problems of moderate scope and complexity, working within a framework of standard policies and procedures, laws, and regulations.
- Research, interpret, apply, and communicate difficult and complex regulations, including the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) 49, Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations, International Air Transportation Association (IATA), Dangerous Goods regulations, Export Control Information and Technology and LLNL policies and procedures.
- Transmit records from handheld devices into the receiving and property management databases to create property “receipt” and accountability records and create reports to ensure proper reconciliation; evaluates and maintains critical inventories.
- Identify and resolve discrepancies with internal and external personnel, requesters, customers, and functional disciplines to ensure accurate records are kept and maintained for auditing purposes.
- Use motor vehicles, small hand and power tools and operate material handling equipment, such as forklifts, skids, pallet jacks, and hand trucks.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Comprehensive practical knowledge of material handling operations, techniques and methods and regulatory requirements and/or related DOE policies and procedures.
- Specialized knowledge of environment, safety and health standards, and policies and procedures to identify hazardous conditions and operations.
- Experience with high level problem solving and decision-making skills necessary to independently identify appropriate material handling procedural actions and solutions.
- Effective organizational skills, detail oriented, with experience prioritizing tasks with frequent interruptions and distractions, often with short deadlines.
- Proven ability to work independently as well as function as a teammate to accomplish the goals and objectives of the Department.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills and ability to interact considerately and effectively with a diverse group of personalities and disciplines at various levels.
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience with mobile devices, personal computers, and software applications (word processing, spreadsheets, and databases).
- Working knowledge of forklift, pallet jack, and other warehouse equipment and ability to obtain and maintain Powered Industrial Truck certification.
Qualifications We Desire
- Knowledge of LLNL Asset Management, Laboratory, and ES&H Policies and Procedures.
- Knowledge of institutional applications, such as Sunflower Assets (SFA), Laboratory Integrated Network for Contracts and Supply (LINCS) and the Laboratory’s on-line shipping request application (ShipIt).
- Experience using handheld barcode readers for warehousing performance.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.