Refine Search Clear All
Analysis Group Leader - Active Clearance Required
Engineering | livermore, CA | 05/08/2021
Job Code: SEL.4 Science & Engineering TSL 4 / SEL.5 Science & Engineering TSL 5
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for an Analysis Group Leader. You will primarily provide system structural, thermal, and explosive effects analysis to support the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Program projects related to nuclear weapons. You will manage employees and resources to accomplish technical and administrative requirements, interacting with all levels of management within, and external to, the Laboratory to establish a wide range of projects, develop budgets, and manage execution. This position is in the Weapon Technologies and Engineering (WTE) Program, in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide technical, safety, and security leadership to Group personnel and activities and collaborate with project principals and group personnel in defining programmatic objectives.
- Assign work and remain cognizant of the technical goals, solution approaches, and progress of all group projects.
- Perform independent engineering analysis supporting WCI activities using expert level principles, theories, concepts, and techniques and lead engineering design reviews.
- Propose initiatives that improve DTED analysis efficiency and overall capability. Implement approved initiatives by assigning appropriate staff and monitoring progress toward improvement goals.
- Review computational hardware, software, and services used by the group, ensure quality, and help recommend and prioritize updates and improvements as needed.
- Serve as subject matter expert in analysis for the Program at meetings, briefings, design reviews, and committee activities both internal and external to the Laboratory.
- Propose and oversee the execution of sensitivity studies and design margin/uncertainty quantification studies as part of Program analysis activities.
- Responsible for performance management activities for group personnel and contribute to the DTED ranking and salary processes. Monitor performance required to meet programmatic milestones and deliverables and lead corrective actions where necessary.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SEL.5 level
- Influence strategic technical decisions made by senior management and external customers.
- Lead and develop advancements in cutting edge analyses and projects that may have impact beyond the Laboratory.
- Serve as organization spokesperson by Laboratory management and/or external advisor by sponsors and serve on external scientific or technical committees.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at the time of hire.
- Master’s degree in Mechanical or Civil Engineering or equivalent level of education and related experience.
- Significant experience with finite element methods for solving solid mechanics and/or heat transfer problems.
- Significant experience and expert knowledge of engineering analysis in some of the following areas: structural mechanics elasticity, plasticity, material constitutive behavior, failure mechanics, and/or rigid body mechanics and dynamics, heat transfer conduction, convection, and radiation, explosive material analysis, hydrodynamics, radiation sciences, aero sciences, formal design reviews, technical presentations and safety behaviors.
- Significant experience applying ParaDyn and/or Diablo software and familiarity with other developmental, government, or commercial tools such as ALE3D, Abaqus, Ansys, and/or other mechanics/multi-physics analysis code suites.
- Ability to promote and maintain productive relationships across directorates / programs, with other laboratories, and with personnel from external entities, using expert communication and collaboration skills, necessary to present, explain, and advise senior management and/or external sponsors.
- Effective leadership, interpersonal skills, and supervisory skills to lead personnel, write performance appraisals, and actively participate in ranking sessions.
- Working knowledge of Laboratory policies and practices and applicable NNSA orders.
- Ability to travel.
Additional qualifications at the SEL.5 level
- Extensive experience and ability to lead and develop projects involving cutting-edge analytical capabilities.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to effectively present, explain, influence, and advise senior management and external sponsors.
- Extensive experience and expert technical knowledge to address advancements that may have impact beyond the Laboratory.
Qualifications We Desire
- PhD in Mechanical or Civil Engineering with a focus on mechanical analysis.
- Experience in nuclear weapon system design, requirements, and materials.
- Proficiency with UNIX and experience with large FORTRAN codes and Python Programming.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.