Refine Search Clear All
Semiconductor Device Engineer
Engineering | livermore, CA | 05/06/2021
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3 / SES.4 Science & Engineering MTS 4
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory is seeking multiple candidates for a position in semiconductor device physics. The work will focus on developing advanced semiconductor devices using wide band gap and ultra-wide band gap materials for high frequency and power applications. You will contribute to the Micro & Nano Technology Section (MNTS) capabilities in design, build, test, and understanding of new semiconductor devices for applications including power electronics, radiofrequency electronics, detectors, and optoelectronics. This role is in the Materials Engineering Division (MED).
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role, you will
- Conduct research in and development of semiconductor devices and materials.
- Design, build, test, and integrate new devices. Perform bench testing and validation of devices to understand performance tradeoffs and validate simulations.
- Participate in mentoring early career staff.
- Lead tasks as a part of an interdisciplinary team consisting of engineers, technicians, and integration experts from LLNL in all aspects of device and system development, to complete project goals.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Perform all assignments safely in accordance with ES&H, security, and business practice requirements and policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the SES.4 level
- Lead projects, including the development and writing of proposals and interfacing with sponsors.
- Provide Subject Matter Expertise to guide management decisions.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics, or related fields or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Significant experience with semiconductor device modeling using commercial codes (eg Silvaco or Sentaurus).
- Significant knowledge of semiconductor device physics and design.
- Ability to write and operate software (e.g. MATLAB, PHYTON, COMSOL, LUMERICAL, ZEMAX, LABVIEW, SOLIDWORK) for data collection and analysis.
- Ability to perform as an innovative device designer across a broad array of applications.
- Ability to develop independent research projects through publication of peer-reviewed literature.
- Initiative and interpersonal skills and ability to succeed in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
Additional qualifications at the SES.4 Level
- Expert knowledge of semiconductor device physics and simulations.
- Advanced experience applying advanced technical knowledge and methodologies to guide the successful completion of technical projects, serving as the primary technical contact, mentoring and/or leading junior staff members.
- Experience leading a team or project effort.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment, present and explain complex technical information, provide advice to management, develop proposals, and interact with sponsors.
Qualifications We Desire
- PhD in Electrical Engineering, Physics, or related fields.
- Experience with one or more of the following areas: semiconductor device characterization, high power or high-speed device measurement, microfabrication, and device packaging.
- Experience writing proposals.
- Experience leading teams.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.