Refine Search Clear All
Deputy Nuclear Facility Manager
Environmental, Safety & Health | livermore, CA | 05/07/2021
Job Code: TSL.3 Technical Services & Ops TSL 3
Organization: Weapons and Complex Integ
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Deputy Nuclear Facility Manager. You will be responsible for managing the activities essential to maintaining LLNL nuclear facilities in a safe and compliant configuration, while focusing on providing a high degree of availability to support programmatic operations. This position is in the Superblock complex.
In this role you will
- Provide advanced technical leadership, direction, and expert guidance in managing the Laboratory’s nuclear facilities safely and cost effectively while supporting the Nuclear Materials Technology Program (NMTP) and Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) programmatic objectives.
- Participate in the submission of the annual Documented Safety Analysis (DSA) revisions to the National Nuclear Security Agency (NNSA) and ensure all reviews and verifications have been conducted including applicability to current operations and activities.
- Ensure the DSA is implemented in accordance with detailed plans and procedures.
- Establish and maintain control of maintenance and outage schedules for facilities while balancing engineering priorities, personnel resources, and facility availability in support of programmatic work.
- Participate in the work control process and de-conflict work activities.
- Manage the notification and reporting process associated with incidents and occurrences that have ES&H significance, including conducting investigations, assigning corrective actions, and advising Laboratory senior management.
- Participate in the development and implementation of a facility-specific training program for personnel with work assignments in the facility. Approve qualified and certified positions.
- Partner and provide back-up to the Facility Manager including write performance appraisals, participate in ranking and salary management processes, and provide training, mentoring, and coaching for group personnel.
- Provide support in implementation of Conduct of Operations, Configuration Management, Criticality Safety, Quality Assurance, As Low As Reasonably Achievable (ALARA) program, and other safety management programs.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor of Science degree in engineering or scientific discipline or related field or the equivalent combination of educatio0n and related experience.
- Demonstrated advanced technical experience; one or more specialized fields (must meet DOE order 426.2 nuclear facility experience requirements) with nuclear facility engineering operations and/or maintenance, and the management of a nuclear facility authorization basis.
- Expert knowledge of the application, development, implementation, monitoring, and strategic resolution of the DSA process.
- Knowledge of the technical aspects of the work control process as it applies to de-conflicting and prioritizing work activities.
- Demonstrated leadership, technical, organizational, team building, and interpersonal skills necessary to manage a multi-disciplinary facility.
- Experience with supervision, performance management, and resource management necessary to manage a professional/technical-level team.
- Demonstrated advanced and effective communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to present complex technical briefings, explain, and provide technical advice to senior management, external sponsors, regulators, reviewers, and stakeholders (e.g. DOE/NNSA).
- Demonstrated problem solving, decision making, and analytical skills necessary to independently resolve highly unusual, complex, and/or sensitive issues/problems and provide consultative direction and innovative solutions that impact the Laboratory.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now