Refine Search Clear All
High Explosives Experimentalist Staff Scientist
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 05/06/2021
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Flexible Term
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Staff Scientist to perform research, development, and application activities in support of Laboratory missions. You will be an integral member of an interdisciplinary team responsible for conducting and supporting research in the design and execution of experiments studying the performance effects of high explosives exposed to known-independent stimuli. This position is in the Energetic Materials Group of the Materials Science Division.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Conduct research and contribute to the development of mechanical, thermal, laser, and/or electronic systems for various experimental campaigns to probe the performance effects of energetic materials.
- Work under limited direction and with teams to solve moderately complex problems in the areas of engineering design and chemical analysis that require the use of established techniques.
- Maintain accurate and detailed technical records of experimental design and data to ensure results are properly annotated and organized to deliver project reports and briefings.
- Work in parallel tasks with well-defined priorities to ensure project needs are addressed in a timely and efficient manner.
- Provide solutions that require the creative use of established methods to meet project objectives.
- Collaborate with other scientists in the implementation of safety guidelines for experimental operations by applying technical knowledge and skills in a variety of safety disciplines and ensuring design reviews are conducted on novel experiments in compliance with LLNL and HEAF safety basis.
- Comprehensive knowledge in project management to lead various technical support personnel to meet deadlines and accomplish project objectives.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.3 level
- Contribute to and actively participate in the design and execution of experimental campaigns involving energetic materials to address not well-defined complex problems relevant to national security missions.
- Collaborate in the development of innovative methods, technologies, and knowledge.
- Frequently work as a technical expert on a multi-disciplinary team.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, chemistry, physics, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Willingness to routinely work with explosives and be able to obtain and maintain qualification as an Explosives Handler.
- Comprehensive knowledge of engineering hardware design, mechanical fabrication, chemical analysis, and testing techniques in the area of energetic materials.
- Ability to creatively use established or innovative technologies to probe the performance effects of energetic materials.
- Experience analyzing and interpreting fundamental experimental results and reporting findings.
- Experience working on projects with a high consequence of error with regard to safety.
- Ability to perform independent work with technical objectives and ability to meet schedule and deliverables for multiple concurrent projects with a range of priorities.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information to internal and external audiences while working effectively under conflicting and rigorous deadlines.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills necessary to deliver presentations and prepare written reports, explain technical information, and provide advice to management.
- Advanced interpersonal skills necessary to interact with a diverse set of scientists, engineers, and other technical and administrative staff.
- Work independently with minimal direction within scope of the assignment.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience working in an environment with stringent safety and security policies.
- Experience working in energetic materials research at a DOE and/or DoD facility.
- Knowledge of high-speed diagnostics use in energetic materials research.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.