Refine Search Clear All
Target Fabrication / Mechanical Engineer - Senior
Engineering | livermore, CA | 05/08/2021
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3 / SES.4 Science & Engineering MTS 4
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Senior Target Fabrication Engineer on the Target Fabrication team. You will work with programmatic scientists to formulate specifications and drawings, use advanced design and manufacturing techniques, and provide solutions to complex or highly complex problems. Typical projects may require advanced systems engineering; engineering analysis and computational simulation; extreme precision and unique materials; prototype design; state of the art fabrication and assembly; and hand-on engineering testing and deployment. This position is in the Laser Systems Engineering & Operations (LSEO) Division, within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Produce advanced conceptual and detail designs in support of on-going projects.
- Work independently as an interface to the experiment and laser alignment groups to ensure adequate features are designed, measured, and documented for each target design under minimal direction.
- Collaborate with scientists, engineers, technicians, vendors, outside suppliers, and mid-level management to develop innovative components and systems using advanced design and manufacturing techniques.
- Perform engineering calculations and hands-on work to support complex design, fabrication, and metrology operations.
- Analyze and determine the most efficient, expeditious, and cost-effective methods to source and/or fabricate complex technical equipment, components, and assemblies.
- Provide input and estimates for budgets, schedules, and workforce needs.
- Present information to engineering and scientific teams, vendors, and program management.
- Successfully utilize existing work, internal resources, and partnerships to help develop innovative capabilities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.4 level
- Set broad project vision and strategy and influence technical direction for self and others while providing subject matter expertise.
- Provide solutions to highly complex problems that require in-depth analysis of multiple tangible and intangible factors.
- Leverage team members’ skills to successfully complete complex projects, by ensuring excellence in execution of technical work in the program.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s in Mechanical Engineering, or the equivalent combination of education and previously relevant experience.
- Advanced knowledge and significant experience in complex mechanical design and analysis.
- Ability to develop and implement creative solutions to unique and complex problems.
- Ability and flexibility to reprioritize and change programmatic direction depending on emergent requests.
- Significant experience in managing, overseeing, and delivering multiple projects on budget and schedule.
- Ability and advanced technical knowledge needed to lead, manage, and mentor junior team members.
- Advanced communication skills with proven ability to present concepts and ideas in a clear and coherent manner, both verbal and written for presentation and interaction with other technical staff members.
- Significant experience interacting and cooperating with all levels of technical staff, managers, and vendors.
- High level interpersonal, organizational, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Detail-oriented, works well in a fast-paced environment, and has a strong sense of urgency and drive to succeed.
Additional qualifications at the SES.4 level
- Subject matter expertise in highly complex mechanical design and analysis and substantial experience in project planning and highly complex technical leadership.
- Substantial experience leveraging existing work, internal resources, and partnerships that resulted in successfully developing new project portfolios.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to present, explain, and advise senior management and/or external sponsors and demonstrated record of team building and conflict resolution.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s or PhD in Mechanical Engineering or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant experience in precision fabrication and assembly.
- Successful track record of crafting new capabilities and catalyzing innovation to impact the long-term direction of an organization.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.