Refine Search Clear All
Optical Production Control Engineer
Engineering | livermore, CA | 05/06/2021
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for an Optical Production Control Engineer. You will be responsible for working with the optical engineering team to derive specifications to improve optic manufacturability, directing fabrication and development (if necessary) at optical vendors of precision optics, and qualifying new optics suppliers for high energy laser systems. You will interact with project management, design engineers and technicians, laser system scientists, manufacturing planning and procurement groups, outside optical suppliers, quality assurance, and operations staff. This position is in the Laser Systems Engineering & Operations (LSEO) Division of the Engineering Directorate. LSEO provides support to the National Ignition Facility & Photon Science (NIF& PS) Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Participate in development of suppliers to manufacture NIF & Photon Science optical components including optimization and development of new processes to meet NIF requirements.
- Document process control methods and requirements for optical vendors to be incorporated into production contracts.
- Assist in the resolution of production problems at all levels including moderately complex to complex.
- Analyze vendor production control methods for weaknesses and make recommendations to realize high quality components and/or lower unit cost.
- Analyze vendor supplied metrology data to validate manufacturing processes remain in production control.
- Work with optical coordination staff to track vendor performance, optic location, and archive metrology data.
- Function as an informal mentor providing guidance to others and an individual contributor in a team- and project-orientated environment with individuals from other disciplines.
- Manage, organize, and document a variety of tasks in a project-orientated environment.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.3 level
- Analyze optical and coating specifications for manufacturability and negotiate with optical and system engineering to optimize specifications for high system performance at reasonable cost.
- Research and provide in-depth analysis to track vendor performance, optic location, and archive metrology data. Analyze tracking and metrology data for errors, determine error sources, and make the necessary corrections.
- Serve as a technical lead in a team- and project-orientated environment with individuals from other disciplines.
- Manage, oversee, and document a variety of tasks in a project-orientated environment.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Material Science, Optical Engineering, Physics, or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Comprehensive experience performing production of moderately complex to complex optics and optical components including specification, fabrication, measurement, and testing (e.g., interferometry, photometry, laser damage testing, and surface quality).
- Broad experience performing production engineering roles including procurement planning and execution, production control, and quality assurance.
- Ability to interpret optical and mechanical specifications and drawings under limited direction.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment, present/explain technical information.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- Master’s degree in Material Science, Optical Engineering, Physics, or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant experience interfacing with customer product requirements related to optical specification and production techniques including complex levels.
- Advanced knowledge in ISO 10110 optical specifications.
Qualifications We Desire
- Working knowledge of optical design code (Code V, ZEMAX, FRED, OSLO, or equivalent) to analyze optical metrology configurations for component testing.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.