Refine Search Clear All
Deputy Principal Associate Director (DPAD) for Projects
Business Operations | livermore, CA | 05/08/2021
Job Code: TSM.2 Technical Manager 2
Organization: Operations and Business Office
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has an opening for the Operations and Business (O&B) Deputy Principal Associate Director (DPAD) for Projects. This position reports directly to the Principal Associate Director for O&B and leads the Project Management Office (PMO), which consists of all functional areas required to execute the capital project portfolio of work, which includes both construction and demolition. The DPAD is accountable for fully effective, safe, secure, compliant execution of projects consistent with scope, cost and schedule requirements. The current project portfolio consists of over 200 projects with a Total Project Cost (TPC) value of nearly $800M with an annual spend rate of $150M to $200M. Within the portfolio are two active Line Item projects valued at $140M, nearly 60 large minor construction projects that range between $2M and $20M in TPC, and a significant volume of smaller projects that range between $500K and $2M. The DPAD manages a staff of 115 project managers, engineers, architects, construction managers, project controls specialists, and a variety of support functions, as well as 15-20 general contractors and more than 300 subcontractor skilled crafts.
In this position you will serve as a senior advisor and member of the O&B executive leadership team and represent the Principal Associate Director for O&B across a broad spectrum of operational areas with a focus on project controls, project management, design management, and construction management as well as coordination with procurement services for design and execution of projects. You will work with senior managers including the Director’s Office and Senior Management Team, Weapons Infrastructure, the Office of Laboratory Infrastructure (OLI), all mission-area PADs, Science Technology & Engineering (ST&E) enterprise and the LLNS Board of Governors’ Committees to formulate a long-term vision, strategy, and implementation of successful project execution. You will serve as the point of contact for the Livermore Field Office (LFO) relative to real property-based infrastructure delivery and represent the Laboratory in all construction and project management related matters to the DOE/National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA).
In this role you will
- Serve as a senior member of the O&B leadership team, influencing the development and implementation of institutional objectives and goals. Provide expert technical leadership and management to the Project Management Office. Serve as a principal delivery partner to the programs for infrastructure capabilities.
- Promote and pursue excellence in functional construction disciplines while working closely with program staff and program IPTs to focus on program, ST&E, and operational infrastructure delivery.
- Work closely with programs to formulate and execute comprehensive project delivery strategies. Ensure management systems for capital projects are efficient and effective and constantly being assessed for continuous improvement.
- Model and promote integrity, respect, customer service, continuous improvement, and accountability.
- Accountable for staffing, operating budgets, expenditures and staffing plans for O&B project and construction management functions.
- Foster efficient and engaged teamwork with a focus on timely and transparent communication, inclusion, talent development, compliance, safety, and security.
- Lead performance management and career development activities, including performance review, appraisal, ranking, and salary management.
- Provide innovative leadership to drive quality and excellence in project execution and construction management.
- Provide project management oversight for project planning, scoping, estimating, risk identification and mitigation, construction safety, transition to operations (commissioning and activation) and compliance with the Laboratory’s sustainability strategies and goals.
- Collaborate with and proactively build and sustain partnerships with the Livermore Field Office (LFO), DOE/NNSA, other DOE Laboratories and sites, EFCOG Project Delivery Working Group and internal key stakeholders.
- Partner closely with the Programs, Laboratory support organizations, and others for seamless integrated project planning and execution to maximize project value and impact.
- Ensure that stakeholders are engaged, apprised, and involved in appropriate aspects of project development and execution.
- Ability to maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, architecture, or related discipline and/or equivalent combination of education and extensive related experience and ability to execute large construction projects.
- Extensive experience managing a construction organization of a private industry complex, university, or government complex with demonstrated improvement in safety, efficiency, and cost-effectiveness.
- Expert knowledge of and demonstrated success in managing large, complex projects including but not limited to, engineering and construction projects with multiple and complex components that require coordination from a variety of organizations within a large, multi-disciplined organization.
- Proven strategic and innovative thinker with ability to partner across multiple functions and programs.
- Extensive experience managing and directing a large, diverse multidisciplinary team of people, building positive and collaborative working relationships among a wide range of scientific, technical, operations and administrative staff who are engaged in a variety of programmatic and operational efforts.
- Experience in anticipating, identifying, and driving early resolution of disputes and claims resolution.
- Ability to solve problems, establish trust and credibility and deal effectively with change.
- Extensive senior-level leadership experience and skills to champion innovative direction and influence development of institutional goals and objectives, including experience with employee development and mentoring.
- Knowledge of DOE Order 413.3B pertaining to Program and Project Management for the Acquisition of Capital Assets. Knowledge of Chapter 10 and 24 of the DOE cost accounting guide as relates to capital and operating projects.
- Certified Project Management Professional (PMP).
- Experience and comprehensive knowledge of Earned Value Management.
Qualifications We Desire
- Comprehensive knowledge of the DOE/NNSA complex and relevant DOE/NNSA Orders, policies, standards, and requirements.
- Experience working collaboratively with NNSA’s Office of Acquisition and Project Management (APM) to execute projects including experience successfully executing projects under DOE Order 413.3B.
- Understanding of LLNL programmatic and/or science and technology efforts and priorities and experience with both program and discipline dimensions of the LLNL matrix.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.