Refine Search Clear All
Electrician l/Lighting Technician
Craft and Skilled Labor | livermore, CA | 05/08/2021
Job Code: 824.1 Electrician I
Organization: Infrastructure and Operations
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for an Electrician I/ Lighting Technician. Under general supervision, you will perform a variety of journey level maintenance trade functions in the maintenance, replacing, repair and re-lamping of indoor/outdoor lighting. You will interact with clients, supervisors, maintenance/building coordinators, inspectors, Environmental Safety and Health technicians, co-workers, and other craft personnel. This Position is in the Maintenance Production Division within the Infrastructure Maintenance and Utilities Department.
In this role you will
- Perform journey level maintenance and installation on various lighting systems including installing and replacing tubes and bulbs; replace burned out ballasts; upgrade lighting systems for energy efficiency.
- Perform testing and troubleshooting to restore systems to operational condition.
- Handle store and dispose of hazardous and toxic materials (florescent tubes and ballasts).
- Provide effective customer service and communication necessary to ensure customer needs/issues are resolved in an effective and timely manner.
- Analyze data and prepare standard reports, including equipment inventory, monthly vehicle maintenance and mileage reports.
- Responsible for performing tasks in accordance with LLNL regulations, policy and procedures, fulfills all Integrated Safety, Security and Property Management responsibilities as appropriate.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- High School Diploma or equivalent and completion of related apprenticeship training program in the electrician trade or equivalent journey level work experience and training in lighting maintenance.
- Basic journey level skills, knowledge, abilities in the electrician trade including electrical codes and ES&H regulations.
- Experience performing maintenance and repair of lighting systems up to 600 volts and ability to follow manufacture’s schematics.
- Experience working with dimming systems, mercury vapor, high pressure sodium, LED, Induction, and halogen lights.
- Proficient in the use of all hand tools and portable power tools of the trade.
- Experience using multi-meters and other electronic test equipment associated with testing and troubleshooting lighting circuits.
- Effective verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills necessary to interact and work independently and effective with other crafts personnel, team members, managers, administrative staff, and provide essential customer service to clients.
- Basic computer skills necessary to complete time keeping, wed-based training and Work Control documents.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid California Driver’s License.
Qualifications We Desire
- California State Lighting Technician certification.
- Knowledge of electrical theory and principles, NEC, NFPA70E, and OSHA.
- Knowledge of LLNL ES&H policies and procedures.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
Site 300 is an experimental test site operated by LLNL. Situated on 7,000 acres in rural foothills approximately six miles southwest of downtown Tracy and 15 miles southeast of Livermore, Site 300 hosts approximately 200 employees with expertise in such fields as engineering, chemistry, biology, and environmental restoration. Employees assigned to work at Site 300 may be exposed to the organism that causes San Joaquin Valley Fever (coccidioidomycosis).
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Davis Bacon Act
The Laboratory performs a variety of work, including some that may fall under Davis Bacon Act requirements. When work scope falls under this Act, the Laboratory complies with the prevailing wage requirements.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.