Refine Search Clear All
Project Controls Group Leader
Engineering | livermore, CA | 05/08/2021
Job Code: SEL.4 Science & Engineering TSL 4 / SEL.5 Science & Engineering TSL 5
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for Project Controls Group Leaders with programmatic and administrative responsibilities to support the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Project Controls. You will support the management and oversight of the earned value management (EVM) systems, including lead responsibilities for WCI Projects that require Project Controls Support for integrated schedules, budgets, and reporting efforts. You will administratively supervise Project Controls personnel supporting WCI. You will programmatically report to the WCI Project Controls Manager and the relevant Program Management offices and provide programmatic engineering and technical support. WCI Project Controls supports Enhanced Management A programs such as the W80-4 and W87-1 Program Offices. These programs use integrated schedules and budgets with regular and robust reporting requirements. These positions are in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Lead and execute strategic project controls systems to support all aspects of WCI’s programs with project controls expertise and EVM. Provide leadership and direction to Program Offices, a diverse staff of technical leads, control account and work package managers, project control specialists, and resource analysts. Implement and lead strategic planning and formulate LEP project goals and deliverables to support mission objectives ensuring compliance with DOE/NNSA/federal and state regulations and applicable laws.
- Mentor and direct staff in the development and maintenance of project organizational elements and artifacts to include Organizational Breakdown Structure (OBS), Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) and WBS Dictionaries, Phase codes, Control Account Authorizations, Work Package Authorizations, Basis of Estimates (BOE); assist in the development and maintenance of the Performance Measurement Baselines through the application of project management principles using EVM.
- Provide technical expertise and experience to assist in the establishment and/or maintenance of an integrated master schedule to ensure the project is aligned to key project milestones and completed within agreed upon time and cost constraints, using industry standard project scheduling practices, schedule quality and risk assessments and corrective action plans.
- Architect the development, implementation, and maintenance of streamlined data systems and processes to ensure the production and dissemination of comprehensive, accurate, timely, consistent, and relevant project controls earned value information on a monthly basis, and as required.
- Oversee the development and management of project control procedures consistent with program and sponsor needs that integrate with WCI and laboratory policies and procedures.
- Provide effective leadership and oversight to the project controls staff, including the hiring of staff, writing of performance appraisals, timecards, team building, and actively participating in ranking and performance/salary management.
- Promote open communication, collaboration and feedback between the sponsor, program management, technical teams, and the project controls staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SEL.5 level
- Lead and implement strategic project controls data systems and processes across the portfolio of WCI’s program and projects with project controls and Earned Value Management System (EVMS).
- Lead development and standup of multiple project organizational elements and artifacts of WCI’s program and projects as well as lead schedule development and cost estimates through the application of project management principles using EVM.
- Act as the LLNL spokesperson for project controls discussions with Nuclear Security Enterprise (NSE) counterparts and NNSA Federal Program Office.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field, or the equivalent level of education and related technical experience.
- Significant experience directing and planning project controls/management and analyzing/ solving highly complex engineering and scientific problems that require expert knowledge that factors in multiple tangible and intangible considerations.
- Expert knowledge and understanding of project management tools and techniques, including work planning, scheduling, cost estimating, analysis and managing budgets, risk management, and project controls reporting.
- Experience in personnel administration, performance management and training of technical and non-technical personnel with experience presenting project controls information to client/management.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to effectively present, explain, and advise senior management and external sponsors.
- Effective and proven interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively and to lead a multidisciplinary team environment and ability to coordinate work and goals on multiple simultaneous projects effectively.
- Ability to travel.
Additional qualifications at the SEL.5 level
- Ability to lead and implement strategic project controls data systems and processes to support WCI’s program and projects with project controls and Earned Value Management System (EVMS).
- Extensive technical experience and expert knowledge in Laboratory and/or NNSA program management requirements and execution.
- Extensive program management experience and ability to deliver innovative solutions by applying cutting-edge technologies.
Qualifications We Desire
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification.
- Expert knowledge and understanding of project controls systems and current industry and technical developments.
- Experience with Oracle Financial Systems, Primavera P6, Cobra, wInsight, Empower, Tableau, Acumen.
- Experience with LLNL and DOE/NNSA financial policies and procedures, and Contract DE-AC52-07NA27344 requirements.
- Familiar with Department of Defense (DoD) 5000, NNSA 6.x acquisition processes and nuclear weapon qualification and certification processes.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.