Refine Search Clear All
Scientific Associate - Nondestructive Assay Subject Matter Expert - ACTIVE CLEARANCE REQUIRED
Engineering | livermore, CA | 05/08/2021
Job Code: 302.1 Scientific Associate / 302.2 Sr Scientific Associate
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Nondestructive Assay Subject Matter Expert & Gamma Ray Isotopic Analyst/Scientific Associate/Sr. Scientific Associate. The position requires creating original and creative solutions to Nondestructive Assay (NDA) problems using specialized and advanced technical knowledge as well as providing gamma ray isotopic analysis for the Nuclear Material Control and Accountability (MC&A) program. This position is direct funded through the Security Organization by NNSA NA-70 and is in the MC&A Group within the National Security Engineering Division (NSED).
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide specialized and highly advanced technical engineering and applied science knowledge to resolve complex gamma ray, neutron, and calorimetric Nondestructive Assay (NDA) problems.
- Perform gamma ray isotopic analysis to provide relative isotopic abundances using multiple analysis codes for low and high energy spectra.
- Provide statistical analysis and interpretation of NDA instrument performance to establish measurement control parameters to ensure measurement validity.
- Develop, certify, implement, and maintain NDA instrument procedures as well as provide instrument and procedure on-the-job training (OJT).
- Provide highly advanced technical gamma ray, neutron, and calorimetric NDA instrument expertise and support to NDA laboratory operators.
- Implement and oversee nuclear material physical inventories and scale/test weight calibration program and associated contractor procured work services contract.
- Provide Nuclear Material Control and Accountability (MC&A) oversight, audit, and performance testing of NDA laboratory operations.
- Interact regularly and independently with LLNL MC&A and NDA laboratory staff as well as MC&A staff at other NNSA/DOE sites.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 302.2 level
- Independently establish and lead activities to implement solutions to complex NDA problems with very highly specialized technical expertise and advanced technical knowledge in one or more disciplines or fields of applied science.
- Collaborate with high level MC&A and NDA technical personnel and senior managers at other sites.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at the time of hire.
- Bachelor's degree in a scientific field or equivalent combination of education and extensive related experience applicable to nondestructive assay (NDA) techniques.
- Experience with, and highly advanced knowledge of, NDA measurement methods with ability to become an NDA subject matter expert and trouble shoot and repair gamma-ray, neutron, and calorimetric NDA measurement systems and instrumentation.
- Highly advanced knowledge of gamma ray isotopic analysis methods and details such as peak shape differentiation and background correction.
- Highly advanced knowledge of statistical methods for establishing measurement control criteria that can be applied to NDA measurement system instrumentation.
- Experience developing and maintaining procedure type documentation and ability to perform on-the-job training (OJT).
- Ability to oversee Scale and Balance and test weight certified calibration program including maintaining the certification vendor procured work services contract.
- Ability to implement and oversee accountable nuclear material inventories in multiple areas to meet schedule and federal requirements.
- Ability to become a Certified Fissile Material Handler, which requires medical qualifications to wear respiratory and personal protection equipment.
- Effective verbal, written, and presentation skills.
Additional qualifications at the 302.2 level
- Very highly specialized knowledge of Nondestructive Assay techniques.
- Very highly advanced technical skills, knowledge, and abilities in gamma ray isotopic analysis for inhomogeneous, unique, or complex isotopic compositions.
Qualifications We Desire
- Technical lead or supervisory experience.
- Certified DOE National Training Center (NTC) instructor.
- Certified in Technical Management and experience providing audit and oversight.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.