Refine Search Clear All
Architect, Architectural Engineer/ Industrial Engineer, Facility Design and Installation
Engineering | livermore, CA | 05/08/2021
Job Code: TSS.2 Technical Services & Ops MTS 2 / TSS.3 Technical Services & Ops MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for an Architect, Architectural Engineer, or Industrial Engineer to support facility design and installation projects within the National Ignition Facility and Photon Sciences Directorate (NIF&PS). NIF provides the scientific community with an unprecedented capability for studying materials at extreme pressures, temperatures, and densities and it is supported by a wide variety of support facilities. You will be responsible for providing technical expertise for new facility systems to build out new or reconfigured lab and other facility spaces as well as maintenance, operations, repairs, and upgrades to existing systems. You will have opportunities to work on the entire lifecycle of Architectural, Mechanical, Electrical, and other facility systems. This position is in the Laser Systems Engineering and Operations (LSEO) Division, within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Lead moderately complex to complex facility design and installation support for new facility systems as well as maintenance, operations, repairs, and upgrades of existing systems.
- Under limited direction, contribute to or lead the design of moderately complex to complex projects from the conceptual phase through construction oversight, including interior and exterior design based on customer requirements and vision.
- Utilize broadly defined engineering concepts, practices, codes, and procedures including development of drawings, visualizations, and presentations.
- Review and update drawings provided by senior architects and engineers within multiple design and CAD tools.
- Interact with multi-discipline internal team of mechanical, electrical, and structural disciplines for design and construction.
- Contribute to projects and recommend solutions to a diverse range of issues, working collaboratively with internal customers, external consultants, and contractors.
- Participate in performing field inspections, measurements, and calculations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the TSS.3 level
- Independently and under minimal direction develop complex architectural, mechanical, and electrical designs and conduct informal and formal design reviews to determine objectives, methods, techniques and evaluation criteria.
- Contribute to and lead the development and tracking of projects, schedules, and allocation of resources, ensuring customer requirements are met within satisfaction of organizational objectives.
- Represent the organization as the technical resource on tasks and projects and participate on internal technical/advisory committees.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Architecture, Architectural Engineering or Industrial Engineering or a related technical field, or the equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Proficient knowledge and experience with moderately complex to complex commercial architectural, mechanical, and facility system design and construction techniques and related engineering principles.
- Experience with procedures, work control, and/or configuration management.
- Applied knowledge and experience with relevant moderately complex to complex mechanical and architectural concepts, practices, codes, and procedures within commercial industry.
- Proficient knowledge and experience using modeling applications, such as AutoCAD, or equivalent.
- Experience working effectively in a dynamic and multidisciplinary environment, which includes working with engineers, technicians, and designers and recommending solutions to a diverse range of issues.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
Additional qualifications at the TSS.3 level
- Significant knowledge and expertise with complex architectural, mechanical, and facility systems, including working knowledge of standards and applicable building codes.
- Applied knowledge of LEED principles including certification or the ability to obtain certification.
Qualifications We Desire
- California certificate of registration as a Professional Engineer (PE), Licensed Architect or equivalent certification in another state.
- Certified Construction Manager (CCM), Project Management Professional (PMP), or equivalent certification.
- Experience with NFPA, SMACNA, and other industrial facility codes.
- Experience with construction estimating and scheduling.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.