Refine Search Clear All
Program Director for Weapon Technology and Engineering - ACTIVE SECURITY CLEARANCE REQUIRED
Engineering | livermore, CA | 05/06/2021
Job Code: TSM.3 Technical Manager 3
Organization: Weapons and Complex Integ
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Program Director (PD) for Weapon Technology and Engineering (WTE). The Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Principal Directorate has an opening for a Program Director (PD) for Weapon Technology and Engineering (WTE). WCI is a complex, multi-discipline program directorate with a $1.5B annual funding portfolio supporting over 2000 employees. You will be responsible for advancing the WTE mission to anticipate and meet the demands of the current and future stockpile, and broader national-security concerns, through the application of innovative engineering skills and the development and application of stockpile-stewardship capabilities. You will be a key member of the WCI Senior Management. You will work closely with WCI and LLNL leadership on all aspects of leading and managing the Program to accomplish WTE and WCI programmatic deliverables. You will interact with WCI program personnel, high-level internal managers, partner laboratories, NNSA/DOE, external sponsors, partners & vendors, Laboratory support organizations, and LLNL senior managers. You will report to the WCI Principal Associate Director.
In this role you will
- Responsible for WTE Program strategic planning, budget, execution and reporting to ensure timely delivery of commitments to WCI, LLNL, DOE and other customers.
- Support the enduring U.S. nuclear stockpile in partnership and collaboration with the WCI PAD and other Program Directors, by delivering the engineering aspects of the stockpile annual assessment, stockpile modernization and the development of stockpile stewardship capabilities, as a member of the WCI Senior management team.
- Develop and deploy advanced technologies to assess the enduring stockpile, modernize the deployed stockpile, and revitalize the production complex’s manufacturing processes.
- As a key member of the WCI senior management team, actively participate in establishing WCI program strategies and policies, and represent the WTE and WCI program to all internal and external stakeholders as required, including preparing and giving presentations
- Develop and promote trusted partnerships and collaborations within LLNL, between the NNSA labs and plants, and with NNSA and other customers and stakeholders.
- Manage and develop a team of senior WTE Management staff that foster a work environment that stimulates, broadens, and retains high-quality personnel while managing and communicating program objectives, accomplishments, and plans to the WTE workforce and internal and external stakeholders.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at the time of hire.
- PhD in Engineering or a related technical field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant experience and expertise in engineering technologies and experience or understanding of computational physics and engineering as it applies to WCI and the LLNL weapons program.
- Extensive leadership and management experience in a leading edge research and development environment with extensive experience directing Technical Managers. Including the ability to delegate effectively and to lead, motivate, and build complex interdisciplinary teams to work toward programmatic, institutional and national goals.
- Extensive experience in the development and implementation of strategic plans including the management of a significant technical portfolio and budget, balancing the needs of research, infrastructure, delivery, innovation and risk.
- Expert analytical, problem solving, decision-making and organizational skills necessary to independently advise, recommend and approve appropriate actions and implement solutions.
- Expert communication skills, both written and verbal, necessary to effectively explain, present, negotiate, advise, and influence all levels of management, government officials and other external stakeholders.
- Extensive experience sustaining productive relationships with other divisions, directorates, laboratories, UC, NNSA management, other institutions across the DOE and DoD enterprise, and external advisors and reviewers.
- Experience in maintaining a strong safety and security culture in the workplace while simultaneously meeting programmatic and institutional deliverables and requirements.
- Significant experience and expertise in engineering technologies and experience development application for stockpile-stewardship capabilities.
Qualifications We Desire
- Familiarity with national-security policy issues and with Laboratory and external contacts working these issues.
- Familiarity with LLNS and Department of Energy policies and procedures
- Familiarity with the design and development of nuclear weapons and knowledge of WCI and the LLNL weapons program.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now