Refine Search Clear All
Electronics Technologist for NIF&PS
Engineering | livermore, CA | 05/08/2021
Job Code: 531.2 Technologist-Electronics / 531.3 Sr Technologist-Electronics
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for Electronics Technologists for NIF&PS. You will develop, test, troubleshoot, evaluate, operate, and maintain experimental, research, and prototype equipment associated with electronic and/or photonics systems within the National Ignition Facility & Photon Science (NIF&PS) Directorate. NIF is a 24/7 operational facility and may occasionally require working overtime, shifts, and/or weekends to accomplish goals; some work will occur in radiological environments. This position is in the Laser Systems Engineering and Operations (LSEO) Division within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Fabricate, assemble, and disassemble moderately complex electronic and/or photonics components and systems.
- Acquire and analyze data and provide solutions and alternate approaches to moderately complex problems using individual creativity and judgment.
- Prepare and work from instructional guides for repairing, calibrating, operating, and maintaining equipment and systems.
- Perform routine maintenance and troubleshooting of equipment.
- Provide technical support to engineering tests, physics experiments, and program operations.
- Acquire and analyze basic data and test results using known performance parameters to report results and identify problems.
- Contribute to moderately complex preliminary design concepts and engineering decision process.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 531.3 level
- Independently deploy, fabricate, troubleshoot, assemble, and disassemble complex electronic and/or photonics components and systems; including planning and selecting materials, equipment, and methods.
- Assist in developing test parameters, troubleshooting and testing materials, components, or systems, identifying problems, and providing input on solutions.
- Independently identify, analyze, and provide solutions and alternate approaches to complex electronic and/or photonics problems using individual creativity and judgment; prioritize and provide work and technical guidance to others checking for accuracy, completeness, and function.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Associate degree in an engineering technology such as electronics, photonics, or equivalent combination of education and related experience in a large, multi-beam laser operations environment.
- Experience in electronic and/or photonics troubleshooting and assembly.
- Intermediate knowledge of engineering hardware testing processes.
- Experience with some aspect of electronic and/or photonics assembly; including troubleshooting, installation, and maintenance in a large, multi-beam laser system in the areas of beam alignment, cryogenic operations, laser operations, conventional, or process utilities.
- Experience in safe work and business practices.
- Experience working in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Effective written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to lift 25 lbs. in a safe and controlled manner.
Additional qualifications at the 531.3 level
- Advanced understanding of electronic and/or photonics technology and experience working on a technical project team and providing technical direction to others.
- Advanced technical skills and knowledge of engineering principles to solve complex problems.
- Effective written and verbal communication, feedback, and presentation skills.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.