Refine Search Clear All
Business Operations | livermore, CA | 05/08/2021
Job Code: G05.4 Tech Communications Supv
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Group Leader supporting a matrix group area. As the group leader you will support a diverse multidisciplinary group of technical information and communications specialists, such as technical and scientific editors and writers, operations support staff, and graphic designers that support various customers including the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Directorate, the Deputy Director for Science and Technology (DDS&T) Office, and the Environmental Restoration Department (ERD). You will supervise and manage a team of professionals and be responsible for overseeing the growth and development of staff, including coaching and mentoring. You will interact with high–level internal and external contacts as a primary point of contact for your areas of responsibility to provide customer service, promote communications products and services, manage budgets, and coordinate administrative/programmatic requests. This position reports to the Matrix Division Leader in the Technical Information Department (TID).
In this role you will…
- Supervise a multidisciplinary team (e.g., writers/editors, graphic designers, operations support staff), which includes the full array of personnel management duties.
- Manage the day-to-day activities of multidisciplinary teams of communication professionals assigned to work groups. Assign projects/work, evaluate and measure progress, and ensure that schedules are met.
- Develop, manage and maintain group and project budgets and costs, monitoring expenditures for budgetary compliance.
- Develop and conduct skills training, mentoring and coaching to ensure appropriate career development and promote technical excellence among all TID staff.
- Serve as a TID informational resource for programmatic partners and customers and as an editorial or visual design subject matter expert providing both consultative and direct work products.
- Utilize expertise to assess project delivery, ensuring the consistent application of policies and procedures, and recommend hiring, mentoring, and training when appropriate.
- Evaluate the technical communication and information service needs of the institution, directorates, and administrative and programmatic areas; and ensure a balanced workload through coordination with other group leaders, communications managers, and subject matter experts.
- Participate in or lead department/directorate task forces in support of department/directorate initiatives (e.g., performance metrics, customer advisory, etc.) and participate in Laboratory committees providing technical expertise.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in a field relevant to technical communications such as English, communications, journalism, business, engineering or a scientific area, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Strong supervisory or leadership experience including team building, assessing performance, developing performance reviews, supporting professional development, or providing coaching and/or mentoring to less experienced staff.
- Extensive experience participating in and leading technical communications projects including managing project budgets.
- Extensive knowledge and experience with specialized technical concepts, methods, techniques and practices related to technical communications; subject matter expert in a core communications discipline (e.g., technical writing, graphic arts, photography, web design, etc.).
- Advanced technical skills in a wide variety of scientific/administrative areas, and previous experience working with highly visible and sensitive technical content using specialized concepts, methods, and techniques.
- Advanced communication skills, both written and verbal, and interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with a diverse group of personalities at all levels. Extensive customer service experience and ability to demonstrate responsiveness to customer needs and requests.
- Ability to interpret and develop practices and procedures to work within Laboratory, DOE, NNSA and federal requirements for producing and managing documentation, design, display, and web/animation.
- Extensive experience using Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to work closely with and effectively support the efforts of senior managers across a diverse set of programmatic and functional areas.
Qualifications we desire…
- Advanced degree or professional certification in relevant field or subject matter expert in core communications discipline (e.g., technical or scientific writing or graphic design).
- General understanding of TID creative services, including writing/editing, design, visualization, web, and review and release procedures for content and communication products.
- Experience using a variety of software/systems, including Adobe Creative Cloud, Microsoft Teams, SharePoint, Jira, Confluence, WordPress, or Drupal.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.