Refine Search Clear All
Nevada Experiments Mechanical Engineer
Engineering | mercury, NV | 05/08/2021
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Mechanical Engineer based in Mercury, Nevada. You will work on projects and operations supporting diagnostics and experiments for our two-stage gas gun at the Joint Actinide Shock Physics Experimental Research (JASPER) facility. You will work on the design, implementation, integration, fielding, and operation of new diagnostics and new experiments used in the study of materials under extremely high pressures and temperatures. You will provide engineering solutions for a variety of projects ranging from upgrades to the current systems to development of the next generation systems. You will be involved throughout the product development life cycle, starting with concept initiation and requirements gathering to implementing the design details. Our engineers interface with colleagues at other National Laboratories, the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) and other NNSA contractors. This is a Nevada-based position in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Oversee and participate in the operation of a gun facility, execution of physics experiments, development projects, and integration of systems.
- Develop engineering requirements, conceptual designs, and perform supporting analyses of electro-opto-mechanical diagnostic systems and targets, test prototypes for the current and next generation diagnostic systems, safety engineering documentation, deployment of production systems.
- Provide advanced conceptual solutions to a diverse range of moderate to complex issues/problems that require analysis and creative use of established techniques and methods.
- Collaborate with team members to ensure the successful integration and proper functioning of integrated systems.
- Interface with other organizations internal and external to the Laboratory to complete various LLNL projects.
- Prepare safety and engineering documentation and participate in engineering design reviews.
- Work independently as well as a part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.3 level
- Review scope, schedule, budget, and quality of moderately complex to complex engineering work done in support of diagnostic systems and target projects and provide regular updates to management.
- Define requirements for and design experiments to develop advanced capabilities.
- Provide advanced capability in the design and analysis of complex electrical, mechanical, and diagnostic systems and targets.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Hands-on experience with the fundamental design, implementation, integration, operation, and maintenance of moderately complex electro-opto-mechanical diagnostic systems.
- Fundamental knowledge of electro-opto-mechanical systems including remote control of electro-opto-mechanical devices using computer-based systems.
- Fundamental knowledge of common data analysis techniques, statistics, and/or systems engineering.
- Fundamental knowledge of two or more of the following: engineering hardware design, systems engineering, manufacturing techniques, testing processes, FEA structural analysis.
- Experience working effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a multi-disciplinary team, make effective presentations to internal and external audiences and provide advice to management.
- Ability to travel.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant experience in design management, including project planning, scheduling, professional services estimates, and adherence to completion dates.
- Significant knowledge of engineering hardware design, fabrication, or testing processes and ability to meet schedule and deliverables for multiple concurrent projects with a range of priorities.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience working on gas gun system operations/maintenance, and experiment conception, implementation, and execution, procuring scientific data in the national interest.
- Knowledge of electro-opto-mechanical systems including lasers, vacuum systems, remote manipulation systems and diagnostics, such as Photonic Doppler Velocimetry (PDV) or Pyrometry.
- Experience leading multi-disciplinary design teams and experience in design management, including project planning, scheduling, professional services estimates, and adherence to completion dates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.