Refine Search Clear All
Engineering Technical Associate/Weapon Production Quality
Engineering | livermore, CA | 05/07/2021
Job Code: 337.1 Engineering Technical Assoc / 339.2 Senior Eng Associate
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for Weapon Production Quality Associates – Nuclear Weapon Systems. You will support new and on-going activities in support of the weapon system surveillance and production operations. These positions are in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED)/Weapon Technologies and Engineering (WTE) Program, supporting the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Principal Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Direct Product Realization Team (PRT) activities ensuring work is executed per DTED and NNSA quality requirements for weapon, weapon related, and surveillance product.
- Participate as a core member on multiple Product Realization Teams to provide quality related expertise on design intent, QA functions, production, surveillance, and configuration management requirements.
- Support Product Realization Teams by reviewing and critiquing PRT documentation including Engineering Authorizations, part defining product definition drawings, material and process specification requirements, and other related Engineering support documents.
- Provide training and technical guidance on NAP-24 and Defense Programs Business Process System (DPBPS) requirements for engineering, scientific, and technical staff at Nuclear Security Enterprise (NSE) Design and Production Agency locations.
- Travel to Production Agencies to observe and verify the implementation of requirements, repeatable fabrication, inspection, assembly, and surveillance processes.
- Perform the Engineering Evaluations at various Production Agencies and other manufacturing sites in accordance with DPBPS-T046.
- Represent DTED as an independent Quality Engineer assessor during formal Engineering Evaluations (EE’s) of production/surveillance activities and ensure that the results and data are appropriately documented and recorded.
- Maintain clear and concise communication path between Design and Production Agencies in support of programmatic mission.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 339.2 level
- Provide highly advanced support to engineers/scientists in solving highly complex technical problems to various projects within the WTE Program.
- Provide highly advanced technical support and independently lead personnel in assigning tasks and prioritizing work, and interpret and define technical criteria into specific operational requirements.
- Lead engineering technical staff and provide highly advanced mechanical/electronic support and hands-on operations through the design and assembly of complex components and systems based upon specifications from engineers, physicists, or facility personnel.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or related field; Associate degree in Engineering Technology with significant related experience; or equivalent combination of education and extensive related experience.
- Advanced knowledge in engineering design, fabrication, assembly techniques and materials, material properties, manufacturing methods, theory, manufacturing, and inspection processes.
- Advanced knowledge of Weapon or Weapon Related design, materials, fabrication, assembly, product realization process, production drawings or engineering authorizations.
- Advanced knowledge of NNSA Weapon Quality Policy (NAP-24), Technical Business Practices (TBPs), Defense Programs Business Process System (DPBPS) or Engineering Authorizations.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills and experience participating in engineering testing operations, analyzing results, writing reports, and creating presentations, and conducting and participating in design reviews.
- Ability to exercise high degree of independent judgement and ability to oversee technical team, clearly articulate, enforce, and interpret design intent and requirements of component and supporting drawings and other required documentation.
- Knowledge of engineering drafting policies and standards including ASME Y14.5M Dimensioning and Tolerancing concepts.
- Ability to travel to meet programmatic milestones.
Additional qualifications at the 339.2 level
- Experience with highly advanced fabrication and assembly techniques directly applicable to material, components, systems, and equipment.
- Extensive experience developing conceptual designs of mechanical/electronic systems, testing prototypes and associated diagnostics, and experience with CAD/computer design packages.
- Extensive experience with project planning, budgeting, and resource planning while exercising a high degree of independent judgment, discretion in leading, directing, and guiding staff to fulfill programmatic deliverables.
Qualifications We Desire
- Knowledge of materials, equipment, or technologies associated with high explosives, and QA/QC documentation skills.
- Knowledge and experience in nuclear weapons program stockpile systems, components, classified materials, experimental data, and related diagnostic and testing equipment.
- Knowledge of Windchill and CREO.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.