Refine Search Clear All
Technical Coordinator, Electronic & Mechanical
Supply Chain | livermore, CA | 05/07/2021
Job Code: 538.2 Technical Coordinator / 538.3 Sr. Technical Coord.
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for Technical Coordinators/Senior Technical Coordinators specializing in electronics and/or mechanical fabrication. You will support the Supply Chain Organization within the National Ignition Facility and Photon Science (NIF & PS) Directorate. You will apply knowledge of product design, fabrication, assembly, tooling, and materials to work with NIF engineers and suppliers to purchase materials, mechanical and/or electrical parts (including PCBAs and cable harnesses), and electro- optical/mechanical assemblies varying in size and complexity. NIF is a 24/7 operational facility and may occasionally require travel, working overtime, shift, and/or weekends to accomplish goals; some work will occur in radiological environments. These positions are in the Laser Systems Engineering and Operations (LSEO) Division within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide general coordination and technical support to scientific, engineering, and technical personnel through detailed technical and administrative knowledge of parts/ materials/ equipment for scientific research activities.
- Participate as a project team member, provide technical guidance and procurement support to senior technicians, technical associates, and engineers/scientists on small-medium projects.
- Solve moderately complex technical problems and make decisions using established guidelines, techniques, and procedures.
- Research and make recommendations of substitute products with similar technical specifications.
- Collaborate with suppliers, requestors, LLNL Procurement, production control, NIF warehouse, LLNL Receiving, and onsite mechanical/electrical fabrication shops to meet project cost and schedule demands.
- Provide detailed award/delivery status to supervisor and customers/requesters. Anticipate and reconcile supply problems, including technical factors affecting critical milestones.
- Stage, transport, and deliver parts around the LLNL site for secondary operations and/or staging of assembly/installation efforts; deliver or pick-up parts from local-area suppliers.
- Provide Technical Release Representative (TRR) services requiring in-depth knowledge of LLNL purchasing requirements to purchase items and regulations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 538.3 level
- Provide advanced procurement/coordination support to scientific, engineering, and technical personnel through specialized technical knowledge relating to acquisition of parts/materials/equipment for scientific research activities.
- Participate or lead project team to provide acquisition support to senior technicians, technical associates, and engineers/scientists on medium-large projects.
- Ability to maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Associate degree in mechanical/electronic technology; or equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience in mechanical/electronic fabrication.
- Moderate level understanding of ANSI International Electronic Standards or ASME Y14.5M Dimensioning and Tolerancing standard for the practical application of breaking down BOMs (Bill of Materials) for procurement at the component level.
- Intermediate level skills and understanding of the fabrication acquisition process; knowledge of approval, bid, award, inspection acceptance, receive, reconciliation, and close-out.
- Effective written and verbal communication, and presentation skills.
- Effective interpersonal, teamwork, and multitasking skills.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to safely drive pick-up trucks, lift up to 25 pounds, and secure loads.
- Ability to travel and occasionally be flexible with scheduled work hours for training on or off-site.
Additional qualifications at the 538.3 level
- Advanced level understanding of and skills utilizing ANSI International Electronic Standards or ASME Y14.5M Dimensioning and Tolerancing standard for the practical application of breaking down BOMs (Bill of Materials) for procurement at the component level.
- Advanced understanding of the fabrication acquisition process; knowledge of approval, bid, award, inspection acceptance, receive, reconciliation, and close-out.
Qualifications We Desire
- Electronics: Journey-level skills with 4-8 years’ experience in electronic procurement or as an electronic technician and/or experience with electronics shop processes.
- Mechanical: Journey-level skills with 4-8 years’ experience in mechanical fabrication procurement or as a machinist, sheet metal worker or equivalent mechanical fabrication shop experience.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.