Refine Search Clear All
Postdoctoral Experimental Physicist- Short Pulse HEDP
Engineering | livermore, CA | 05/08/2021
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: NIF and Photon Science
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have openings for multiple Postdoctoral Experimental Physicists- Short Pulse HEDP to execute experiments, develop unique diagnostics and diagnostic techniques, and lead frontier research in the area of high-intensity short-pulse laser science and applications and high-energy-density plasmas (HEDP). Areas of active research are high-intensity laser interactions with matter, laser-driven secondary sources, plasma optics, future light sources, and the development of high-repetition-rate diagnostics, targetry, modeling, and machine learning. These positions are in the HED S&T organization in the Short-Pulse Laser Science & Applications Group in the National Ignition Facility and Photon Science Principal (NIF&PS) Directorate.
In this role you will
- Research, design, and execute laser driven experiments at the NIF-ARC, OMEGA EP, LaserNetUS, and other international high-intensity short-pulse laser facilities.
- Design, field, and coordinate the development of new high-intensity short-pulse laser interaction diagnostics and data-handling methods to enhance high-repetition-rate experimental capability.
- Use and develop machine learning techniques to perform advanced analysis.
- Author and present technical and scientific reports, presentations, publications, and proposals for internal and external audiences including the DOE community and at conferences.
- Collaborate with scientists in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals.
- Coordinate team resources and plan experimental campaigns.
- Pursue independent, but complementary, research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists, internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in short-pulse laser physics, plasma physics, nuclear engineering or physics, or related discipline.
- Experience designing, executing, and analyzing experiments and/or operating facilities in short-pulse high-intensity laser experimental physics.
- Ability to perform as an innovative experimentalist with a broad range of experience in experimental design, techniques, execution, and analysis.
- Experience developing, calibrating, fielding, and analyzing x-ray, optical, or nuclear plasma diagnostics, or ultrafast laser diagnostics.
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills to author technical and scientific reports, publications, invited papers, and proposals, and deliver scientific presentations.
- Effective initiative and interpersonal skills including the ability to work both as part of a collaborative, multi-disciplinary team, as well as the ability to produce independent, original work.
- Ability to think broadly and devise innovative solutions to problems to accomplish objectives.
Qualifications We Desire
- Hands-on experience working at HEDP or laser user facilities.
- Experience with high repetition rate laser systems, experiments, diagnostics, or targetry.
- Experience with data science approaches of machine learning, control augmentation, extreme data algorithms, and/or data-enhanced prediction.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.