Refine Search Clear All
Nuclear Structure and Reaction Theory - Postdoctoral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 05/08/2021
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to conduct research at the intersection of nuclear structure and reaction theory. You will actively participate in the development of an integrated structure and low-energy reaction theory for stable and exotic nuclei. Your collaboration will contribute in an important way to the successful implementation of a Laboratory-funded project integrating structure and reaction theory. This position is in the Nuclear Data and Theory group of the Nuclear and Chemical Sciences Division.
In this role you will
- Conduct research in low-energy nuclear structure and reaction theory for both stable and exotic nuclei.
- Contribute to and actively participate in the development and implementation of an integrated structure and reaction theory framework for stable and exotic nuclei.
- Design and carry out applications demonstrating the new framework.
- Collaborate with the Nuclear Data and Theory group and with external researchers.
- Pursue independent research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internal and external to LLNL.
- Participate in the design and implementation of experimental proposals, in close collaboration with experimentalists.
- Document research; report research results via publications in peer-reviewed journals and conference presentations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in theoretical physics or related field.
- Experience in theoretical nuclear physics, applied to low-energy nuclear structure and/or nuclear reaction phenomena.
- Ability to work effectively in a collaborative and multidisciplinary team environment.
- Contribute to proposal submissions within the Nuclear Data and Theory group.
- Experience developing computer software for theoretical physics problems.
- Experience in Fortran, C, C++, or equivalent computer programming languages.
- Ability to perform independent research and find innovative solutions to scientific and technical problems.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills needed to effectively present and explain results of scientific research in presentations at seminars, meetings and journal publications.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with research concerning the integration of nuclear structure and reaction theory.
- Familiarity with quantum many-body methods and techniques applied to nuclear physics.
- Record of publications in peer-reviewed journals and experience presenting research results at conferences and/or invited seminars.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.