Refine Search Clear All
Engineering | livermore, CA | 05/08/2021
Job Code: TSS.3 Technical Services & Ops MTS 3 / TSS.4 Technical Services & Ops MTS 4
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Project Manager to provide support for the W80-4 Life Extension Program (LEP) and W87-1 Modernization Program (MP). You will work with technical leads in Engineering and Project Controls to enable effective execution of applicable technical work scope. You will also manage cost, schedule, and risk of that efforts within the LEP/MP. You will educate and guide the technical leads on proper project management techniques. This position is in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Apply advanced systems engineering and project management principles to multiple complex technical projects at any given time and in a graded manner to balance resources with identified risk.
- Provide in-depth guidance to technical staff to identify and evaluate engineering standards and procedures to improve overall process efficiency.
- Monitor the progress of work and the impact of changes by working as a liaison between technical staff and the Program Office.
- Make decisions related to schedule, cost, or institutional process implementation.
- Work cross functionally to build fully functional and controlled teams and work processes and be responsible for end-to-end process maps.
- Mentor and lead Principal Investigators (PIs) / Lead Engineers in the development of work proposals, statements of work, project plans, and project risk assessments and responses, and in the use of sound project management practices in accordance with established policy.
- Perform complex analysis tasks independently, working towards goals and objectives.
- Plan large efforts requiring collaboration with multiple disciplines. Develop project plans including task estimation.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the TSS.4 Level
- Train and mentor team members on diverse topics. Establish technical project direction and requirements for others.
- Prepare project plans including task estimation. Facilitate and interact with internal resources to complete project activities.
- Prepare technical process strategies and plans to all levels of management.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Advanced knowledge of the processes involved in hardware design, fabrication, testing, qualification, and deployment.
- Significant experience in control account management and associated processes, with a thorough understanding of integration points with other functional areas.
- Experience applying strong analytical and problem solving skills to practical business outlooks such as forecasting, cost/benefit analysis, and trending.
- Ability to devise engineering solutions for unique and complex problems.
- Ability and flexibility to reprioritize and change programmatic direction depending on emergent requests.
- Significant experience in project management of complex, technical projects (especially R&D) including organizing, managing, and tracking scope, schedule, budget, and risk.
- Ability to lead, manage, and mentor junior team members.
- Effective written and verbal communication and negotiation skills necessary to communicate with multidisciplinary team members and influence outcomes.
In Addition at the TSS.4 Level
- Experience as a supervisor or team leader implementing business solutions and knowledge of project management practices.
- Experience developing research plans for data gathering and analysis, developing integrated project analyses, and designing and implementing improvements.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to present, explain, and advise senior management and/or external sponsors and record of team building and conflict resolution.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree in Engineering or related field.
- Familiar with DOD 5000 and NNSA 6.X acquisition processes.
- Program Management Professional certification/license.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.