Refine Search Clear All
Laser Diodes- Postdoctoral Researcher
Engineering | livermore, CA | 05/08/2021
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Laser Diodes- Postdoctoral Researcher to advance the science of high-power laser diode devices. You will develop characterization tools and methods for semiconductor and opto-electronic devices to enable breakthrough performance in device power, brightness, efficiency, or other required characteristics. You will be part of technical team that develops advanced diode laser technologies for integration into next-generation laser systems. This position is within the Laser Systems Engineering and Operations (LSEO) division within the Engineering Directorate.
In this role you will
- Conduct advanced research into novel approaches for enhancing laser diode technology.
- Design and execute hypothesis-driven experiments on diode lasers and associated optical and electronic components.
- Design, build, and commission new diagnostics for kW-class semiconductor diode laser packages, including but not limited to optical and mechanical alignment, signal processing, and data acquisition.
- Develop novel tools for material defect characterization and execute experiments to determine the role of defects in diode laser performance.
- Analyze and interpret optical, electrical, and thermal performance data, including the development and use of models when necessary, to draw conclusions and plan experiments.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals, and present results at external conferences, seminars, and/or technical meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- PhD degree in physics, electrical engineering, materials science, or a related field.
- Significant experience in the design and operation of optical and opto-electronic instrumentation.
- Ability to write and operate software (e.g., Python, MATLAB, LabVIEW) for hardware control, data collection, and data analysis of experimental systems.
- Strong fundamental knowledge of solid-state physics and the principles underlying light-emitting semiconductors
- Ability to perform as an innovative experimentalist with a broad range of experience in experimental design, techniques, and execution, including developing innovative solutions to scientific and technical problems.
- Experience developing independent research projects, including publication of peer-reviewed literature.
- Proficient verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills to collaborate effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Effective initiative and interpersonal skills and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
Qualifications We Desire
- Significant working experience with and theoretical understanding of high-power semiconductor laser diode devices.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.