Refine Search Clear All
Pulsed Power Engineering Associate / Sr. Engineering Associate
Engineering | livermore, CA | 05/08/2021
Job Code: 337.1 Engineering Technical Assoc / 339.2 Senior Eng Associate
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Pulsed Power Engineering Technical Associate to support programs in the National Ignition Facility and Photon Science (NIF&PS) Directorate. You will collaborate with scientists, engineers and top-level technical personnel to provide advanced electronic pulsed power engineering technical expertise. This position is in the Laser Systems Engineering and Operations (LSEO) Division, within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide innovative technical expertise to engineering staff for pulsed power systems assembly, testing, and design modifications.
- Propose new complex electronics and/or controls designs for complicated software/ systems.
- Provide input for detailed plans, schedules, and budgets for project activities.
- Author detailed technical procedures and other documentation.
- Initiate, prepare, and present at design reviews, meetings, and other briefings to determine complex concepts and refine designs.
- Collaborate with scientists, engineers, technical personnel, safety personnel, both inside and outside the work group on both an individual and team basis in support of complex program assignments.
- Address complex to highly complex technical problems using independent discretion to provide original solutions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 339.2 level
- Collaborate independently with engineers/scientists at all levels to provide highly advanced support in solving highly complex technical problems for various projects, independently leading personnel in assigning tasks and prioritizing work.
- Make frequent decisions using a high degree of independent discretion and judgement to define project approaches and create and implement original solutions.
- Define, interpret, design, document, oversee fabrication and operation of experimental prototypes and associated diagnostics utilizing a highly advanced knowledge of electronic or electro-mechanical equipment and highly advanced attention to detail.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electronics, Engineering Technology, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Advanced knowledge of and experience with power supply design, pulsed power design, energy storage (capacitors), switching devices (MOSFET), simulation tools (SPICE), and diagnostics (CT, shunts).
- Experience and innovative technical expertise with oscilloscopes, multi-meters, and high voltage power supplies.
- Experience writing and following detailed procedures, contributing to electronic systems operations, analyzing results, and writing reports independently, under general supervision.
- Experience developing conceptual designs of complex and complicated electronic systems; designing, implementing, and/or testing prototypes; and presenting in engineering design reviews.
- Experience with planning, scheduling, and budgeting for technical projects.
- Innovative technical expertise needed to identify and resolve complex to highly complex engineering problems.
- Effective interpersonal skills and experience working both independently and as a member of a multidisciplinary team in a schedule-driven environment including advanced verbal and written communication skills.
Additional qualifications at the 339.2 level
- Advanced technical project management and workforce planning experience, including highly advanced communication, feedback, and presentation skills.
- Understanding of highly complex analog circuit design, supervisory control, instrumentation, and data acquisition.
- Understanding of electrical safety and related standards; electromagnetic compatible designs which minimize and tolerate EMI; techniques to cool power electronics components.
Qualifications We Desire
- Familiar with LabVIEW and related instrumentations and control software.
- Experience working with classified materials, documentation, and/or experimental data.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.