Refine Search Clear All
Applied Physics - Postdoctoral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 05/07/2021
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to study two-fluid plasma relaxation with internal ion flow and magnetic field measurements, and other technically challenging problems. This position is in the Applied Plasma for National Security Group in the Fusion Energy Sciences Program within the Physics Division.
In this role you will
- Commission and field internal plasma particle flux probe.
- Design laboratory plasma experiments to study turbulent relaxation and self-organization of magnetized plasmas.
- Design and conduct multi-week experimental campaigns at the Madison Symmetric Torus (MST) in the Wisconsin Plasma Physics Laboratory (WiPPL).
- Collaborate with scientists in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals.
- Pursue independent but complementary research to the groups interests and interact with exceptional scientists both internal and external to the Laboratory.
- Maintain an awareness of technical literature in assigned areas.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences, seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, security, and business practice and policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in physics, electrical engineering or a related field.
- Research background in plasma physics or electrodynamics.
- Experience conducting laboratory experiments.
- Experience writing software to develop plasma modeling tools and with data analysis programming language, such as IDL, Python, or MATLAB.
- Ability to develop independent research projects as demonstrated through publication of peer-reviewed literature.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills as reflected in effective presentations at seminars, and/or meetings.
- Initiative and interpersonal skills with desire and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
- Experience developing research proposals.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with plasma diagnostics.
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability with two-fluid plasma models or measurements.
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability with turbulent plasma relaxation processes.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.