Refine Search Clear All
Engineering Technical Associate
Engineering | livermore, CA | 05/08/2021
Job Code: 337.1 Engineering Technical Assoc / 339.2 Senior Eng Associate
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for an Electronics Engineering Technical Associate/Sr. Engineering Associate. You will provide electronic technical support including the design and assembly of complex systems and components based on specifications. These positions are in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED) supporting the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Principal Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide advanced electronic support and hands-on operations through the design and assembly of complex systems and components based on specifications from engineers, physicists, or facility personnel.
- Develop original solutions to complex technical problems, determining appropriate work methods, and establishing priorities in order to meet programmatic requirements.
- Provide design, evaluation, review, fabrication, oversight, testing, assembly, quality policy implementation, and documentation of various projects.
- Provide input for detailed plans, schedules, and budgets for project activities.
- Provide oversight, technical guidance, and direction to technicians, making frequent decisions using a high degree of independent discretion and judgement.
- Initiate, prepare, and participate in design reviews, meetings, and other briefings where concepts are determined and designs refined.
- Collaborate with scientists, engineers, technical personnel, facility engineers, facility safety personnel, and technicians both inside and outside the work group on both an individual and team basis in support of the program.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 339.2 level
- Collaborate with engineers/scientists to provide highly advanced support in solving highly complex technical problems for various projects, independently leading personnel in assigning tasks and prioritizing work.
- Make frequent decisions using a high degree of independent discretion and judgement to define project approaches and create and implement original solutions.
- Define, interpret, design, oversee fabrication and operation of experimental prototypes and associated diagnostics utilizing a comprehensive knowledge of electronic or electro-mechanical equipment.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electronics, Engineering Technology, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Advanced knowledge in electronic engineering design, fabrication, and/or assembly, including theory.
- Experience conducting and/or participating in engineering design reviews.
- Experience participating in electronic systems operations and design, analyzing results, writing reports, and/or making presentations.
- Experience developing conceptual designs of electronic or electro-mechanical system; designing, implementing, and/or testing prototypes; and experience with the associated tools and diagnostics.
- Experience with project planning, budgeting, and resource planning.
- Effective interpersonal skills and experience working both independently and as a member of a multidisciplinary team in a schedule-driven environment.
- Effective written and verbal communications skills with proven ability to present concepts and ideas in a clear and coherent manner for presentation and interaction with other technical staff members.
Additional qualifications at the 339.2 level
- Extensive experience developing conceptual designs of electronic or electro-mechanical systems; and designing, implementing, and/or testing prototypes.
- Extensive experience collaborating with high-level scientists/engineers and/or senior managers at the division and/or department level or equivalent.
- Effective written and verbal communication, feedback, and presentation skills in multiple technical areas.
Qualifications We Desire
- Knowledge and experience with computer systems, PLCs (Modicon), programming languages (C, C++, Unity, LabVIEW), or HMI development tools (InTouch, Archestra).
- Experience working with optical, radiographic, electronic diagnostic equipment, initiation systems for high-explosives, and/or working with/around high-voltage or high-current equipment.
- Experience working with classified materials, documentation, and/or experimental data.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.