Refine Search Clear All
Manufacturing Engineering Section Superintendent - MED
Engineering | livermore, CA | 05/07/2021
Job Code: 391.1 Engr/Sci Staff Associate
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Superintendent to oversee approximately 100 technical employees, 15 supplemental laborers and 8 supervisors in the Manufacturing Engineering Section (MES).
In the Superintendent role, you will be a part of the Materials Engineering Division (MED) staff and will focus on the management and utilization of employees in the Division. In the Engineering Staff Associate role, you will provide direct technical programmatic support to various LLNL programs. These responsibilities will focus on manufacturing related activities. Under minimal direction you will act as the interface between the Manufacturing Section of MED and programmatic customers to coordinate manufacturing related tasks, prioritize work, and ensure a safe work environment. Within your area of influence, you would be responsible for ensuring that all Safety, Security, and Personnel policies and practices are followed at the Laboratory. This position will be part of the MED Staff and will report to the MED Division Leader for personnel, safety and security issues and will work closely with the Manufacturing Engineering Section Leader for programmatic issues. This position is in the Materials Engineering Division (MED).
In this role, you will
- Provide administrative oversight for employees, including Supervisors, in the Manufacturing Engineering Section (MES), supplemental labor and apprentice machinists, including overseeing performance evaluation, ranking and salary management, promotions, recruiting and corrective actions and coordinate with other Division Superintendents, the MES Section Leader, and DL/DDL as appropriate.
- Exercise a high degree of independent judgment and discretion in pursuit of Division, Section, and program technical and administrative missions and work with the Division Superintendents and MES Section Leader to ensure that hiring plans are consistent with the Division, the Section, and Program needs.
- Interface with other MED, Engineering, or institutional capabilities and monitor performance of technical personnel to assess programmatic needs, program milestones, and to effectively level manpower requirements and lead corrective actions where necessary.
- Manage and oversee the machinist competency, MTOS & Competent Worker programs for MES.
- Conduct bi-weekly/weekly and or monthly meetings with the appropriate personnel to cover applicable hazards, controls, work practices, feedback, and improvements.
- Review and approve training qualifications of employees.
- Maintain close working relationships with MES Section Leader to ensure timely, cost effective execution of Service Center engineering services.
- Participate in the Engineering Exempt Review Board (ERB) processes and overall management of the technical workforce in support of the directorate senior superintendent.
- Direct and contribute technically to significant high-risk operations, including facility and operational planning, providing efficient solutions that ensure safe and effective work controls.
- Interact closely with LLNL program and/or facility managers, technical contacts, project engineers, and scientists with frequent technical interactions outside of the work unit and external to LLNL.
- Analyze and interpret complex administrative and/or technical information and project objectives utilizing a high level of professional competence to develop requirements and concepts, implementing creative solutions to solve complex problems.
- Oversee the ISO 9001 certifications and strategic planning efforts within the workgroups.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Manufacturing Technology or an equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience in one or more of the following technical skill areas: manufacturing processes, engineering technologies, mechanical design/fabrication.
- Significant experience with supervision, including preparing performance appraisals and participating in ranking and salary management processes, administration, and resource management.
- Knowledge of staffing developments and experience in hiring activities.
- Significant experience directing technical support work through the effective utilization of people and available resources.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills to ensure that program requirements are effectively communicated in a timely manner.
- Ability to interact effectively with people at all levels.
- Experience working in a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Familiarity with Work Control processes.
- Knowledge of Lean Manufacturing Principles, ISO 9001 certifications
Qualifications We Desire
- Knowledge of Engineering’s policies and procedures.
- Strong understanding of the 900-classification history and culture
- Demonstrated management skills in support of major Laboratory programs.
- Experience interacting with Division and Directorate level management.
- Experience applying Integrated Safety Management.
- Experience with safety systems associated with radiation and explosive technologies and hazards.
- Experience with programmatic elements associated with WCI, NWE, NMTP, NIF, GS, and their experimental activities, including experience interacting with other DOE labs.
- Knowledge and experience interpreting and implementing Laboratory policies, procedures, and practices, especially in the area of ES&H, safety, and security.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.