Refine Search Clear All
Semiconductor Laser Engineer
Engineering | livermore, CA | 05/08/2021
Job Code: SES.1 Science & Engineering MTS 1 / SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Semiconductor Laser Engineer. You will be responsible for the engineering and operational setup of high-power laser technology with focus on high power semiconductor lasers for the National Ignition Facility and Photon Sciences (NIF&PS) Directorate. You will provide engineering solutions for ongoing high energy laser development programs by guiding the diode laser production process from procurement through final characterization and delivery to the laser team. This position is in the Laser Systems Engineering & Operations (LSEO) Division, of the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role, you will
- Design, build, and execute laboratory experiments for characterizing high power semiconductor diode lasers using well defined parameters.
- Maintain test instrumentation cross-calibration, document test procedures, archive test results, update analysis software, and define appropriate database reports.
- Perform data analysis of test results and develop computer software in support of this as needed and under general direction.
- Perform optical, electronic, and thermal modelling that are of limited complexity and in support of experimental efforts.
- Serve on the LLNL technical team for diode laser pump development and procurement contracts; work closely with the full laser team to ensure successful on-time deployment of the diode pump subsystem.
- Prepare technical documents and author technical presentations.
- Contribute to providing engineering support of operations utilizing readily identifiable factors, standard techniques, and methods, as well as fundamental knowledge.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the SES.2 level
- Perform research into new approaches to record high power semiconductor diode lasers using broadly defined parameters.
- Select methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria to design/conduct moderately complex to complex experiments to characterize subcomponents.
- Participate in the fielding of these new systems on Inertial Confinement Fusion (ICF) physics platforms and other high-energy laser platforms under limited direction.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Optical Engineering, Physics or related field or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Fundamental knowledge in semiconductor devices, laser physics, and/or optics.
- Experience utilizing optics and laboratory instrumentation to conduct experiments of limited complexity in the area of optoelectronic devices.
- Experience with watt-class high power diode lasers, lens design, optoelectronic component packaging, III-V semiconductor growth and fabrication, heat transfer, and/or thermal management of high heat density devices.
- Experience in computer programming for test automation/control and/or data analysis.
- Ability to solve engineering problems under general direction by breaking them into smaller manageable tasks while remaining highly focused on overall resolution.
- Experience working effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment.
Additional qualifications at the SES.2 level
- Broad experience identifying, defining, and solving moderately complex to complex multi-disciplinary problems in a timely, cost effective manner under limited direction.
- Comprehensive knowledge of and broad experience with high power diode lasers, laser physics, and optics.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with optoelectronic device simulation (LaserMOD, LASTIP, PICS3D, Silvaco and/or self-written code).
- Experience with test equipment control and automation software development (LabVIEW, Python, MATLAB).
- Experience in the development of hardware or systems used in clean vacuum environments.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now