Refine Search Clear All
Assurance Manager - Active Security Clearance Required
Security | livermore, CA | 04/15/2021
Job Code: AMC.3 Administrative Manager 3
Organization: Security Organization
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for an Assurance Manager, who will provide independent guidance and oversight for the implementation of institutional and directorate policies and programs to assure that all applicable sitewide and Security Organization (SO) activities are performed in compliance with SO, LLNL/LLNS requirements as well as federal, state, and local laws and regulations. You will oversee the SO Assurance Management Office, responsible for the Performance Management and Performance Assurance functions which have both SO and LLNL-sitewide responsibilities. This position is in the Security Organization and will report to the Director of Security.
In this role you will
- Serve as a key advisor to the Director of Security, and as an integral member supports the of the SO senior management team to formulate and execute strategic plans to assure compliance with federal and state regulations, Department of Energy/National Nuclear Security Administration (DOE/NNSA) Orders/Manuals, and LLNL institutional requirements in a cost-effective manner.
- Act as the SO Performance Assurance Manager, responsible for the creation and maintenance of LLNL site wide protection strategies. Assure the multi-layered protections of LLNL’s critical assets (i.e., Special Nuclear Material, Biological Select Agents and Toxins, and classified matter used by various LLNL program) are operable and effective. Deploy countermeasures and corrective actions when potential weaknesses or deficiencies are identified in how these critical assets are securely managed, inventoried, and stored.
- Provide leadership and direct oversight of the SO assessments program, performance testing activities, Security Incidents Reporting Office (SIRO), requirements management, and quality management program.
- Provide independent oversight of SO operations to assure implementation of the Integrated Assessment Plan, compliance-based risk management, quality, and requirement flow-down throughout the organization. Assure compliance with all related standards.
- Oversee performance testing activities for protection strategy elements (essential and non-essential elements). Develop and approve test scenarios, criteria, and objectives to execute large scale Force-on-Force exercises; review test results to ensure that tests validate assumptions and conclusions of associated analyses.
- Serve as the primary SO liaison with the Management Assurance System Office (MASO) and LFO to oversee, maintain and coordinate performance tracking and reporting, including: Quarterly Assurance Reports, Performance and Evaluation Management Plan input, Institutional Health of the Program (IHOP) preparations, Safeguards and Security multi-year risk management plan, Performance Analysis Report, lessons learned, performance metrics, occurrence reporting, non-compliance tracking, management self-assessments, and Issues Tracking System (ITS) usage.
- Represent the SO to resolve highly complex Institutional and cross-directorate policy issues through participation in the Institutional Operations Review Board (ORB) and Assurance Manager’s Meetings.
- Responsible for ensuring that SO commitments for reporting, corrective actions and requests for information are fulfilled in a timely manner. Review incidents to determine DOE report-ability, assist line managers in preparation, coordinate interactions with the Laboratory’s Occurrence Reporting Office.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for SO Performance Evaluation Management Plan; function as the primary liaison internally and externally for audits and inspections from LLNL Audits and Ethics and external inspectors from NNSA, DOE, OIG or government agencies.
- Recruit, retain and mentor a diverse staff. Promote professional development, conduct of staff and performance management activities aligned with the Security Organization, including succession planning. Mentor staff across the organization.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Active U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Security, or Safety, or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and significant related experience.
- Extensive experience interpreting, evaluating and overseeing the execution of complex regulations, demonstrated ability to determine regulatory applicability and impact on operations, and experience evaluating and proposing solutions for issues related to implementation.
- Extensive experience and advanced expertise managing assurance and/or compliance functions and reviewing conditions and events to determine report-ability per regulatory requirements, and in preparing, filing, and updating complex occurrence reports similar to DOE Occurrence reports.
- Extensive experience developing and implementing highly complex assurance plans and procedures, providing independent oversight of organizations, operations, and facilities and assuring Security, Quality and Performance programs are implemented appropriately and in compliance. Expert knowledge of and experience writing, interpreting and implementing policies, procedures and tools similar to DOE ISM policies, procedures and tools.
- Extensive knowledge of ES&H, quality, and security policies, procedures, regulations, and standards.
- Significant experience making critical decisions necessary to resolve highly complex problems and implement solutions under conditions of uncertainty and independently advise, counsel senior management on a wide variety of performance and quality issues.
- Expert verbal and interpersonal communication skills necessary to effectively present, negotiate and coordinate various activities within the SO and senior management across the Laboratory. Experience interacting with senior level leaders and negotiating on matters of significance.
- Experience leading or managing a team with demonstrated advanced leadership skills.
Qualifications We Desire
- Extensive knowledge of DOE ES&H, quality, and security policies, procedures, regulations, and standards.
- Subject matter expertise in one or more functions within the Security Organization.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at time of hire. Also, you must have the ability to obtain and maintain Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) access. Please note that your current active Q or Top Secret clearance with DOE or another agency does not guarantee DOE SCI access approval; if you are denied access, you may be subject to re-investigation of your existing Q or Top Secret clearance.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.Apply Now