Refine Search Clear All
Craft and Skilled Labor | livermore, CA | 04/19/2021
Job Code: 504.2 Technologist - C/MS / 504.3 Sr Technologist - C/MS
Organization: Weapons and Complex Integ
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have multiple openings for Field Technicians to provide technical support and customer services in the management of hazardous and radioactive waste. Under general supervision you will perform a variety of technical functions in collecting, packaging, labeling, identifying, documenting, segregating, consolidating, treating and storing hazardous, non-hazardous and radioactive waste generated by various LLNL programs. This position is in the Radioactive and Hazardous Waste Management Program (RHWM) and part of the Waste Generator Services Group.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Perform a wide variety of waste management activities, often wearing personal protective equipment (PPE) such as anti-C’s, respirator, hearing protection, etc., to collect, package, label, identify, segregate, consolidate, treat, store and verify hazardous, non-hazardous, low level radioactive and/or transuranic waste.
- Operate wastewater retention tanks and/or systems, perform pump-outs, perform lab packing of waste chemicals and maintain detailed and accurate records.
- Perform testing (pH, visual etc.) and sampling of waste to verify characterization and/or treatment results and operate radiation survey instruments to obtain radiological data.
- Operate a variety of vehicles up to and including 5-ton trucks, use material handling equipment (fork trucks, drum handling equipment, mechanical pump systems, etc.), and use hand and power tools.
- Respond to environmental emergencies at LLNL, and work with cross-organizational personnel performing decontamination of facility infrastructure and equipment.
- Gather, analyze, identify problems and record basic pertinent data and information on radioactive and hazardous waste through interactions with personnel from RHWM, Environment, Safety, and Health, and laboratory programs to properly characterize and manage the waste.
- Complete and maintain training requirements per Federal, State, and LLNL requirements.
- Provide customer service to LLNL waste generators as the front-line interface between RHWM and waste generators.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the 504.3 Level
- Solve complex radioactive and hazardous waste management problems using established guidelines and routine techniques and procedures.
- Plan and execute small waste management projects including directing the activities of other technicians.
- Conduct On-the-Job-Training and provide mentoring and leadership for less experienced technicians.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Associate degree in environmental or related scientific field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Basic knowledge of State and Federal regulations as they apply to hazardous and radioactive waste management, with emphasis on managing waste in satellite accumulation areas (SAAs) and 90-day waste accumulation areas (WAAs).
- Basic knowledge of field instrumentation, such as radiation survey instruments, pH meters, etc., with an emphasis on their application to radioactive and hazardous waste processes.
- Elementary understanding of the chemistry principles, including compatibility, essential to the safe management of highly toxic and reactive substances within the context of radioactive and hazardous waste operations.
- Ability to meet medical qualification to wear respiratory protection equipment, climb ladders and meet other physical requirements specified in the job demands worksheet and to successfully complete all Federal, State, LLNL and Department of Transportation (DOT) training requirements.
- Experience working with and transporting radiological and hazardous materials, possessing strong contamination control practices.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills and ability to work independently and within a team.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to generate and maintain high-quality, accurate records and correspondence using PC and/or Apple workstations and associated applications.
Additional qualifications at the 504.3 Level
- Working knowledge of radioactive and hazardous waste management practices to solve complex problems using established guidelines and routine techniques and procedures.
- Working knowledge of State and Federal regulations (RCRA, DOE, DOT) applicable to waste management, with demonstrated experience in their application.
- Extensive experience generating Waste Disposal Requisitions and navigating RHWM waste management databases.
Qualifications We Desire
- Working knowledge of State and Federal regulations relevant to waste management.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now