Refine Search Clear All
Nuclear Science and Nonproliferation - Postdoctoral Researcher
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 04/19/2021
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to play a major role in an international applied and fundamental neutrino science program, founded and led by Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. The researcher will participate in the design of a kiloton-scale gadolinium-doped water Cherenkov detector, and work to quantify the physics reach and nonproliferation impact of that system. They will join theV US-UK WATCHMAN collaboration and have a mixture of analysis and hardware responsibilities to prepare for the possible deployment of the water detector system at the Boulby Underground Laboratory in the United Kingdom. This position is in the Rare Event Detection group of the Nuclear and Chemical Sciences Division.
In this role you will:
- Assist with design studies of gadolinium doped water-based detectors, including the effects of PMT coverage, fiducial volume definition, Gd-doping levels, and other parameters.
- Perform sensitivity studies of water-based detectors, including both nonproliferation and physics analyses for reactor and accelerator neutrinos, as they relate to the DUNE experiment, the AIT-NEO joint US-UK nonproliferation and nuclear science project, and other experiments.
- Assist with or lead experimental testbed efforts for AIT-NEO detector components
- During the deployment phase, take regular trips to the detector installation site
- Oversee testing, deployment and analysis work by graduate students.
- Publish peer reviewed journal articles summarizing research findings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in astroparticle physics, high-energy physics, nuclear engineering, or a closely related field.
- Experience in neutrino physics.
- Experience in analysis of data from large-scale multi-channel physics experiments
- Experience in simulating physics processes and detector response in large-scale physics experiments
- Experience in the design, construction, commissioning and/or operation of large-scale multi-channel physics experiments
- Experience with data analysis and interpretation.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to collaborate effectively in a team environment.
Qualifications we desire
- Knowledge of the physics and phenomenology of neutrino oscillation, CP-violation, and sterile neutrino searches using reactor and/or accelerator sources.
- Experience with GEANT4-based simulation tools.
- Familiarity with the dynamics and sociology of large-scale physics collaborations (100+ scientists).
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now