Refine Search Clear All
NIF Optics Coordinator
Supply Chain | livermore, CA | 04/19/2021
Job Code: 538.2 Technical Coordinator / 538.3 Sr. Technical Coord.
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Technical Coordinator/Senior Technical Coordinator to support the Supply Chain Organization within the National Ignition Facility & Photon Science (NIF&PS) Directorate. Responsibilities include specification, acquisition, fabrication oversight, source inspection and/or metrology for a variety of commercial and NIF-designed small and large optics, along with a variety of ancillary glass items, optics-metrology equipment, and optics-processing hardware (and at times, general mechanical and/or electrical hardware). This position is in the Laser Systems Engineering and Operations (LSEO) Division, within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide general coordination to scientific, engineering, and technical personnel utilizing detailed technical and administrative knowledge of parts/ materials/ equipment for scientific research activities.
- Participate as a project team member, provide general technical guidance and procurement support to senior technicians, technical associates, and engineers/scientists on small-medium projects.
- Provide regular detailed status updates and reports to supervisor and customers/requesters. Anticipate and reconcile supply problems, including technical factors affecting critical milestones.
- Interact with vendors, requestors, LLNL Procurement, Production Control, NIF warehouse, LLNL Receiving, and engineering Mechanical shops.
- Stage, transport, and deliver parts around the LLNL site; i.e., for secondary operations and/or staging of assembly/installation efforts; deliver or pick-up parts from local-area suppliers.
- Assignments may also include performing moderately complex technical tasks such as the operation of the small optics warehouse and performing optics metrology (including inspection for laser damage).
- Initiate requisitions, secure approvals, and work with Subcontract Administrators to secure award of contracts. Serve as Subcontracting Officer’s Technical Representative and point-contact with supplier(s), recognizing and addressing all issues necessary for successful completion. Provide Technical Release Representative (TRR) services (requiring purchasing items with use of a LLNL-issued credit card).
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 538.3 level
- Support complex technical tasks, making decisions using established guidelines, techniques, and procedures including conducting research and making recommendations of substitute products with similar technical specifications when needed.
- Regular, independent interactions with suppliers, requestors, LLNL Procurement, production control, NIF warehouse, LLNL Receiving, and onsite optical fabrication shops to meet project cost and schedule demands. This may include travel to suppliers’ facilities to assess progress, determine/ provide necessary assistance, source/ inspect options prior to authorizing shipment, writing up trip reports and following up on open issues.
- Provide advanced technical coordination support for set up and use of Manufacturing Resources Planning (MRP) systems; breakdown of drawing packages, creation/maintenance of Manufacturing Bills of Materials (MBOMs), and issuance of Work Orders.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Associate degree in optical, mechanical, or manufacturing technology; or equivalent combination of education, related training and work experience.
- Intermediate technical and administrative knowledge of parts, materials, and equipment used for scientific research.
- Intermediate skills and understanding of the acquisition process; approval, bid, award, inspection/acceptance, receive, reconciliation, close-out; ability to engage the LLNL Procurement staff as well as suppliers.
- Ability to complete LLNL’s TRR training; thereafter, ability to maintain TRR certification for placing credit-card orders while remaining in full-compliance with TRR program procedures.
- Knowledge of MRP, parts tracking, process flow, staging of material, and warehouse operations.
- Effective communication, interpersonal, teamwork, and multi-tasking skills.
- Valid California driver’s license required to safely drive pick-up trucks including the ability to travel to supplier sites as needed.
- Ability to travel in the US up to 15% of the time
- Ability to lift to 25 pounds and secure loads.
Additional qualifications at the 538.3 level
- Advanced skills and understanding of optical materials including a wide range of optical finishing, coating, metrology (especially interferometry and surface profiling), surface-quality inspection, and testing methods/issues.
- Advanced knowledge and understanding of optical metrology/inspection/certifications.
- Effective written, verbal and feedback communication skills needed to work with suppliers regarding their subcontract submittals.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience proofing NIF Requisition packages for completeness.
- Completion of LLNL’s TRR training/certification program.
- Knowledge of NIF cleanliness requirements, optical cleaning methods, and contamination control methods (e.g., PET-G packaging).
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.