Refine Search Clear All
Finance & Accounting | livermore, CA | 04/15/2021
Job Code: C02.3 Accountant 3
Organization: Chief Financial Officer
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for an Accountant 3 to work in a dynamic and fast paced environment. You will be responsible for the preparation, analysis, maintenance, and review of complex institutional accounting, financial, and tax reporting information. This position is in the General Accounting & Compliance Division of the Office of the Chief Financial Officer (OCFO) Organization.
In this role, you will
- Provide client analysis and workpaper documentation to support the preparation of the Federal and State Partnership Tax returns, work closely with the Designated Tax Partner and the Tax Preparation Firm and as a liaison of the Partners, with responsibilities including preparing Apportionment schedules, LLNS expense analysis, Federal Tax Package, providing timing differences and various ad hoc reporting to support the State and Local Tax Team.
- Reconcile, adjust, and verify the preparation and the filing of Laboratory payroll tax returns with a third-party provider, including federal and multi-state withholding taxes for employees in various states and multiple jurisdictions. Assist the Payroll Tax Accountant in over-seeing and maintaining the engagement relationship with the Payroll tax third party filing provider and the Laboratory’s Payroll group, while ensuring compliance with Contract 44, Cost Accounting Standards (CAS), Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), applicable federal and state regulations, and policies and procedures as they apply to tax.
- Serve as a Tax Liaison for taxing authorities as it pertains to payroll tax and to participate and lead as appropriate on long-term projects requiring complex solutions to payroll tax-related problems, recommend and implement appropriate courses of action.
- Independently research and respond to complex questions concerning federal and state withholding issues, prepare position papers and recommendations.
- Review, apply, monitor, and advise foreign national employees on applicable tax treaties and other tax withholding issues, in support the Foreign National Nonresident Alien Tax Desk to maintain the Laboratory's Employee Foreign National Tax Program. Review foreign national employee population for proper tax treatment. Coordinate the independent foreign national tax data base with the Lab’s internal Payroll program. Prepare and file the annual 1042 with the IRS.
- Support the Nonemployee and Institutional Tax Desk to maintain compliance in sales and use tax registrations and filings, 1099 and 592 reporting, withholding, payment and filing.
- Advise and conduct complex analysis and research on any area of tax expertise and experience for institutional or partnership tax including but not limited to sales tax, property tax, business registrations and licensing, expatriate tax, partnership tax, or other state, local or federal tax.
- Reconcile tax account balance sheet general ledger accounts, prepare journal entries; provide analysis and interpret complex accounting data; provide advice and make recommendations for proper accounting and tax treatment and prepare various ad hoc reports.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business, or equivalent combination of education or related experience and training in the finance/accounting/tax field.
- Significant experience preparing and filing multi-state payroll and/or entity state and local tax returns; experience in tax research and interpretation of tax laws.
- Complete in-depth knowledge and understanding of taxation, accounting theory, CAS, GAAP, and financial policies and procedures.
- Significant experience with decision making, problem-solving and analytical skills to solve complex issues requiring mature judgment, discretion and tact, and experience negotiating desirable outcomes and making effective and timely decisions.
- Complete knowledge and understanding of foreign national employee's taxation requirements.
- Significant experience in researching, compiling, and analyzing complex financial data and information as well as in the development, implementation and interpretation of financial policies and procedures.
- Advanced organizational skills and expertise; strong interpersonal communication skills both verbal and written, to effectively explain, negotiate, persuade, and build consensus amongst diverse stakeholders; experience establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with all levels of personnel.
- Advanced experience in the development and maintenance of financial spreadsheets containing advanced functions, including significant experience utilizing commercial and institutional financial tools and report-generation applications. (e.g., Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
Qualifications We Desire
- Public Accounting tax experience.
- Large company multi-state payroll tax experience.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.