Refine Search Clear All
Nanotechnology and Microfabrication - Postdoctoral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 04/15/2021
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
NOTE: This is a two-year term appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years.
The Biosciences and Biotechnology Division (BBTD) of the Physical and Life Sciences (PLS) Directorate at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory has an opening for a postdoctoral researcher in the nanotechnology and microfabrication area. We are searching for a candidate with expertise in CVD synthesis and characterization of carbon nanomaterials (graphene, carbon nanotubes). You will need to be very familiar with microfabrication processes in a clean room setting, vapor-phase deposition of polymers, metals and inorganic materials, and have experience with nanomaterial composite fabrication and nanostructure characterization by imaging techniques (AFM, TEM, and SEM) and spectroscopic methods (Raman, etc.). In this position, you will be incorporating produced carbon nanomaterials into devices and membrane systems for separation and energy applications. The selected candidate will report to the Bionanomaterials Group Leader.
In this role you will:
- Conduct research in the field of nanoscale materials synthesis, characterization, composite, and device fabrication.
- Independently plan, design, and execute experiments for the growth of vertically aligned CNT arrays with well-defined geometry at small and large scale.
- Contribute to the design, modeling, and analysis of laboratory experiments and to the execution of research to address defined problems.
- Maintain an accurate and detailed laboratory notebook and maintain complete records of experiments.
- Publish results in peer-reviewed scientific journals and report and present scientific results at seminars, technical meetings, national and international conferences.
- Collaborate with other scientists and technical personnel and participate in collaborative efforts with other national laboratories, academic institutions, and industry.
- Perform all assignments in accordance with ESH&Q, Security, and business practice requirements and policies.
- Write proposals, secure funding, and establish independent research projects.
- PhD in Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics, Materials Science or related field with emphasis in Nanotechnology and Carbon-based materials
- Experience with CVD growth of vertically aligned CNTs and characterization with spectroscopy (Raman) and imaging techniques (SEM, TEM, AFM)
- Experience with thin film deposition, etching, lithography, and other microfabrication techniques
- Experience in working in a clean room setting and with nanomaterial composite fabrication
- Ability as an innovative experimentalist with a broad range of experience in experimental design, techniques, and execution.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and analyze experimental results
- Experience with LabView, MatLab, CAD
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills with demonstrated capabilities in delivering presentations and preparing written reports.
Qualifications we desire
- Experience with graphene membrane fabrication and characterization and Atomic Layer Deposition and gas and liquid chromatography.
- Experience with Energy-dispersive X-ray spectroscopy, X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy, TOF-SIMS, X-ray scattering
- Experience with I-V device testing, Cyclic voltammetry, and Impedance spectroscopy
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now