Refine Search Clear All
Mechanical Technologist - Mid/Senior
Engineering | livermore, CA | 04/19/2021
Job Code: 533.2 Technologist-Mechanical / 533.3 Sr Technologist-Mechanical
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Mechanical Technologist/Sr. Mechanical Technologist. You will apply innovative technical expertise for The ASD Scorpius Project under LLNL’s Enhanced Capability for Sub-Critical Experiment (ESCE) efforts. You will provide technical support for experimental research, prototype equipment development, installation, and commissioning primarily for a wide variety of complex high-voltage, high-current, and fast-switching pulse power research and development projects. The ESCE effort encompasses multiple DOE Management and Operating (M&O) contractors and industry partners. Some travel may be required. This position is in the National Security Engineering Division (NSED), within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Prepare design, fabrication and assembly of mechanical systems/ equipment using a knowledge of design and mechanical system functions.
- Machine components using conventional lathe, mill and other manufacturing process machines.
- Collaborate with scientist, engineers, technicians, and high-level personnel to provide general technical support to various programmatic tasks.
- Incorporate intermediate knowledge of 3D CAD modeling of design concepts using SolidWorks CAD software.
- Use drafting, design, engineering, and scientific programs on computer systems to produce supportive documentation and graphics.
- Apply knowledge of materials and manufacturing processes in the solution of mechanical problems.
- Acquire and maintain LLNL Mechanical Competent Worker Qualifications.
- Ability to travel domestically and potentially internationally, for mechanical and customer support and interaction.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 533.3 level
- Provide advanced Mechanical or Electro-Mechanical design and drafting support where overall design parameters and specifications have been established.
- Contribute to preliminary design concepts for hardware, componentry, and systems including making independent judgment and decisions.
- Lead daily work scope activities of other technicians.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Associate degree in one of the following: mechanical, industrial, manufacturing or the equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience.
- Intermediate understanding of fabrication, machine tool technology and operation of conventional machine tools and inspection techniques.
- Intermediate technical skills and knowledge of engineering principles to solve moderately complex problems using established guidelines, techniques, and procedures.
- Experience designing moderately complex mechanical components or systems.
- Ability to complete and maintain certifications as required by the position.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. in a safe and controlled manner.
- Ability to become medically qualified to wear respiratory and other protective equipment and perform moderate work effort while wearing respirators.
- Effective written and verbal communication, presentation, interpersonal and teamwork skills, and abilities.
Additional qualifications at the 533.3 level
- Advanced understanding of machine tool technology and operation of conventional machine tool, and inspection techniques.
- Experience making decisions regarding a variety of complex technical problems and experience providing technical leadership.
- Significant experience working independently on complex technical assignments and proven ability to meet project requirements and deadlines.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience working with nuclear/radiological materials.
- Knowledge of fundamentals of radiation, radioactive sources, and radiation detectors.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.