Refine Search Clear All
Operations Support Manager - Infrastructure & Operations Directorate
Executive | livermore, CA | 04/19/2021
Job Code: TSS.4 Technical Services & Ops MTS 4 / TSS.5 Technical Services & Ops MTS 5
Organization: Infrastructure and Operations
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for an Operation Support Manager to provide guidance and oversight to the Infrastructure and Operations (I&O) Directorate office on contract deliverables and operational improvement initiatives. In this position you will represent the directorate on subjects related to contract deliverables, issues management (ITS) development, assignment, and completion, help identify the current gaps in I&O processes and procedures and develop recommendations to address and determine appropriate metrics for reporting I&O departmental progress. Additionally, you will be responsible for the evaluation of regulatory compliance, internal contract deliverables and review of corrective actions for effectiveness. You will be responsible for developing a standard for documenting critical work practices that can be applied to I&O departments and establish appropriate response actions needed for a variety of off-normal scenarios (power outage, localized flooding, fire, significant injury, electrical incident, vehicle accident, etc.). This position is in the Infrastructure and Operations Associate Director’s Office within the Operations and Business (O&B) Principal Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Serve as the I&O subject matter expert providing independent oversight and strategic technical advice to the O&B PAD Assurance, Compliance and Security Office (ACSO). Build strategies to satisfy assurance and compliance issues and work with directorate staff to implement.
- Plan, implement, and oversee the I&O effort in systemic trending and analysis. Establish metrics that set standards for performance and lead to the collection of data that can be used to improve overall efficiency and effectiveness.
- Engage with the Livermore Filed Office (LFO) to develop directorate commitments related to contract deliverables, performance goals and corrective actions using subject matter knowledge and understanding of Performance Evaluation & Measurement Plan (PEMP) and negotiating agreed upon outcomes.
- Develop, implement, and lead assessments and inquiries into non-reportable events to develop lessons learned and opportunities for operational improvements and resolving highly complex problems.
- Lead I&O Departments in developing advanced innovative solutions, ideas, and best practices to address gaps in operational processes. Responsible for assigning action owners, tracking issues, and maintaining currency within the Issues Tracking System (ITS).
- Implement the technical review and development of processes and procedures for high risk and high consequence activities within I&O departments. Ensure a change management process is established for implementing reviews and revisions.
- Develop and implement procedural documents and field guides that will outline the safe and reliable execution of employee tasks in the field.
- Ensure organizational roles, responsibilities, authorities, and accountabilities are appropriately defined for key management positions and include functional ownership within the directorate.
- Serve as chair or co-chair of Stakeholder Advisory Groups (SAG) established to garner cross-organizational input and concurrence on the flow down and implementation of institutional requirements within the functional and subject areas owned by I&O.
Additional job responsibilities, at the TSS.5 level
- Provide strategic guidance and solutions to highly unusual, complex and/or sensitive issues/problems where creative or innovative approaches are required and on the management of new and existing events within I&O.
- Initiate, plan, and execute special projects to improve Directorate Assurance functions and achieve the organization’s or Lab's long-term goals and objectives.
- Determine methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria in support of those projects and pursue courses of action essential for obtaining desired outcomes.
- Ability to maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline, or other related technical field, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant experience providing independent oversight of organizations, operations, and facilities and ensuring ES&H, security and quality programs are implemented appropriately and in compliance.
- Significant experience and subject matter knowledge of worker safety, building codes and associated regulations.
- Significant experience successfully leading project teams in a complex and highly regulated environment, such as a U.S. National Laboratory or similar setting.
- Highly advanced problem-solving, decision-making and leadership skills, necessary to independently advise, counsel, recommend, and develop solutions on a wide variety of management level issues.
- Expert verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills necessary to explain, present, direct, negotiate, influence, and coordinate maintenance and service-related activities over a wide range of topic areas to senior managers and staff internal and external to the Laboratory.
Additional qualifications at the TSS.5 level
- Extensive experience and expert level problem solving, decision making, and possessing the analytical skills necessary to independently resolve highly unusual, complex and/or sensitive issue.
- Extensive experience independently advising, recommending, and providing broad consultative direction and innovative solutions that significantly impact organizational processes.
- Extensive experience and ability to champion, lead, and develop creative solutions, principles, theories and concepts.
Qualifications We Desire
- Knowledge of and/or experience with LLNL institutional processes and systems.
- Extensive knowledge of relevant DOE Orders, national standards, ES&H policies and procedures and other regulatory agency requirements.
- Working knowledge of emergency response and/or business continuity practices.
- Working knowledge of process improvement, issues management and document control.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.