Refine Search Clear All
Analytical Chemistry and Materials Science - Staff Scientist
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 04/15/2021
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Flexible Term
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an immediate opening for a team member to conduct a full range of moderate to complex efforts in Analytical Chemistry and Materials Science. You will participate in the characterization of actinide materials (assay, elemental impurities, impurity mapping, isotopic composition, etc.), mainly via inductively coupled plasma (ICP) techniques, but also by X-ray diffraction (XRD) and/or microprobe-based methods, in a small-team environment. This position is in the Plutonium Science and Technology group within the Materials Science Division.
In this role you will
- Conduct moderately complex to complex sample preparation and actinide material characterization efforts.
- Perform work in gloveboxes and other contamination enclosures.
- Contribute to the development of methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria to meet sponsor needs in appropriate national security areas.
- Prepare written analyses, verbal briefings, and other presentations that capture and communicate team results.
- Drive assigned priorities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- BS in chemistry, geochemistry, forensics, or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Ability and drive to learn new techniques and independently advance lab characterization efforts and capabilities.
- Broad understanding of basic analytical chemistry and/or materials characterization techniques, such as multi-element instrumental analyses (such as mass spectroscopy and emission spectroscopy), XRD, or microprobe.
- Ability to work independently, as well as part of a team.
- Experience operating computers to collect, analyze, and document scientific results.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to interact with a diverse set of scientists, engineers, and other technical and administrative staff within a collaborative environment.
- Ability to obtain and maintain fissile material handler certification.
Qualifications we desire
- MS in chemistry, geochemistry, forensics, or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience in characterization of actinide materials.
- Experience with analytical instrumentation and interpreting results.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.