Refine Search Clear All
X-ray - Postdoctoral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 04/15/2021
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None, but work must be performed by a U.S. person (e.g., U.S. citizen or permanent resident and certain others). Also, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation.
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a postdoctoral researcher to conduct in situ characterization of a range of materials science systems using X-ray spectroscopy, X-ray diffraction, small angle x-ray scattering, and radiography using synchrotron and/or laboratory based sources. You will actively participate in research on energy storage systems (e.g., redox flow batteries) and bio-inspired molecular assembly (e.g., peptoid-based membrane formation). This position is in the Nanoscale Integration Science Group of the Materials Science Division.
In this role you will
- Perform fundamental and applied experimental work in the field of in-situ X-ray spectroscopies, X-ray diffraction, and/or X-ray scattering using synchrotron or laboratory-based X-ray sources.
- Conduct experimental research to characterize degradation processes in energy storage materials and/or bio-inspired molecular assembly.
- Pursue independent but complementary research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Collaborate with scientists in multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals.
- Maintain and establish laboratory protocols.
- Document research; publish papers in peer-reviewed journals, and present results within the DOE community and at conferences.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- This posting is U.S. Citizenship (Permanent Residence does not meet this requirement). Applicants without U.S. citizenship are not eligible to apply.
- PhD in Condensed-Matter Physics, Physical Chemistry, Materials Science, Mechanical Engineering, or a related field.
- Experience using X-ray diagnostics, e.g., X-ray spectroscopies, X-ray diffraction, and/or X-ray scattering for materials characterization.
- Publication record and experience in the structural characterization of energy storage/conversion materials and/or molecular assembly.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills as reflected in effective presentations at seminars, meetings and/or teaching lectures.
- Initiative and interpersonal skills with desire and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience in the use of synchrotron facilities
- Experience in the application and/or development of capabilities for in situ characterization of dynamic processes with X-ray diagnostics.
- Working knowledge of complementary materials characterization techniques, e.g., transmission electron microscopy, scanning electron microscopy, Fourier-transform infra-red spectroscopy, and/or scanned probe microscopy.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.