Refine Search Clear All
High-Pressure Physics - Postdoctoral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 04/19/2021
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher in the field of fundamental and applied research in experimental high-pressure science. The applicant should have a background in physics, materials science, or chemistry at extreme conditions with emphasis on static high pressure. Who will perform tabletop experiments at LLNL as well as experiments conducted at off-site light sources. The research will focus on understanding the physics of materials at ultra-high static pressure, using the latest diamond anvil cell (DAC) technologies as compression tool. The chosen candidate will be expected to contribute to development of advanced diagnostics and utilize x-ray capabilities at national synchrotron facilities (e.g. imaging, ultrasonic techniques, x-ray spectroscopy etc.) and participate in collaborations involving the US and international colleagues including HPCAT/APS/ANL, DCS/APS/ANL and ECB/Petra-III/DESY. Development of new approaches and techniques at 4th generation x-ray light sources (LCLS/SLAC and XFEL/DESY) is strongly encouraged. The postdoctoral researcher will be expected to work collaboratively with personnel across the Laboratory and in particular with scientists in the High-Pressure Physics Group. This position reports to the High-Pressure Physics Group Leader.
In this role you will
- Contribute to the conception, design, and execution of research to address defined problems in the area of phase transitions in materials (metals & molecular systems) at extreme pressure and temperature conditions.
- Develop tools to analyze large batches of experimental data for real-time experiment guidance.
- Participate in the High-Pressure Physics Group’s ongoing experiments conducted at off-site facilities.
- Present formal and informal overview of research progress at weekly meetings.
- Analyze, report, and present scientific results at seminars, technical meetings, national and international conferences.
- Publish research results in external peer-reviewed scientific journals.
- Perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, security, and business practice requirements and policies
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in physics, materials science, chemistry or related scientific field.
- Expertise with in-situ measurements (e.g., optical and x-ray spectroscopies, x-ray diffraction and imaging) of samples under extreme conditions (high pressure and temperature) in diamond anvil cells.
- Experience with comprehensive analysis of data including curve fitting and non-linear fitting routines applied specifically to x-ray diffraction patterns.
- Experience with computer programming with an emphasis on developing custom analytical routines.
- Experience in writing reports, publications and proposals.
- Experience utilizing a scientific approach to problem solving.
- Documented publication record in peer-reviewed journals.
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively independently, as well as in a team environment.
Qualifications We Desire
- Expertise with preparing and executing complex diamond anvil cell experiments (dynamic DAC, toroidal anvils, laser heating)
- Experience working at national user facilities.
- Experience working in a U.S. government laboratory setting.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.