Refine Search Clear All
Nuclear Facility Operator
Engineering | livermore, CA | 04/19/2021
Job Code: 538.3 Sr. Technical Coord.
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Nuclear Facility Operator to support ongoing activities to ensure the operational readiness of nuclear facilities. You will solve complex technical problems and implement technical guidelines, nuclear facility standards, specifications, and procedures. Work may involve Beryllium, radioactive/fissile materials, other hazardous materials, and classified parts and documents. This position is in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), within the Engineering Directorate.
In this role you will
- Control and monitor operations associated with engineered safety features as identified in Building Documented Safety Analyses (DSA’s) and control and monitor operating support systems that could affect engineered safety features.
- Ensure that change controls, monitoring parameters, and procedures associated with facility systems are within the approved safety envelope.
- Ensure the maintenance of all facility systems.
- Perform daily pre-operational checks and verifying that the minimum staffing requirements are met before opening facilities for approved activities.
- Ensure that compliance with the facilities Limiting Conditions for Operations (LCO’s) is maintained and perform actions when LCO’s or surveillance requirements are not met.
- Ensure that the facility surveillance requirements are performed within the required frequency and in accordance with approved procedures by trained personnel.
- Support and assist the Nuclear Materials Technology Program Facilities Operations and Maintenance manager with day-to-day facility operations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Associate degree in engineering technology or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with personal computers and associated desktop office software used for mechanical/electronics fabrication assembly design and coordination of schedules, system details, and project quality.
- High level understanding and ability to interpret ASME Y14.5 Dimensioning and Tolerancing and identify and specify component standards and specifications.
- Ability to identify and resolve complex technical problems.
- Experience reviewing, tracking, and monitoring of service work orders regarding estimates, schedules, and status.
- Effective written and verbal communication, feedback, and presentation skills.
- Ability to work overtime/weekends and adjusted schedules, as needed.
- Ability to complete and maintain certification as a Certified Facility Operator, become medically qualified to wear respiratory and other protective equipment, and perform moderate work effort while wearing respirators.
- Secure and maintain certification in the Nuclear Facility Certified Position Program which includes medical evaluation and random drug and alcohol testing.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience working with radioactive/fissile materials within a nuclear facility or power plant.
- Experience fulfilling Work Control process and procedure requirements and Quality Assurance/Quality Control documentation skills used in an engineering environment.
- Ability to train others and provide technical direction to team members.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.