Refine Search Clear All
Engineering | livermore, CA | 04/19/2021
Job Code: SES.1 Science & Engineering MTS 1 / SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Controls Engineer to contribute to the development and implementation of control and diagnostic instrumentation in high power laser systems within the National Ignition Facility (NIF&PS) and Photon Science directorate. You will join the team responsible for developing the control approach and implementing the LabVIEW-based applications and real-time control systems required to develop and operate novel high-power lasers which may have a high consequence of failure. This position is in the Laser Systems Engineering and Operations (LSEO) Division, within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Develop system control strategies and applications using well defined parameters, documenting all design, and implementing software under configuration management.
- Develop LabVIEW application solutions to problems of limited complexity that require the evaluation of readily identifiable factors.
- Prepare supporting safety and engineering documentation and participate in engineering design reviews.
- Participate in engineering testing operations, analyze results, and write reports under general direction.
- Interface with immediate supervisors, and project leads or other exempt professional in the group or division to complete various projects.
- Work independently, under general direction, as well as a part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.2 level
- Develop moderately complex to complex LabVIEW applications for supervisory, automated processing and/or device level controls under limited direction.
- Refine and manage the system requirement specifications and control software design.
- Participate in formal and informal code and design reviews.
- Maintain a close interface with the various programmatic and project elements to ensure effective teamwork and end-user communication.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or the equivalent combination of education and previous related experience.
- Fundamental knowledge of and experience with developing National Instruments LabVIEW applications and familiarity with configuration control processes.
- Fundamental knowledge of standard engineering techniques and methods utilized for design, testing, documentation and involved safety controls.
- Experience working effectively in a dynamic multidisciplinary environment, which includes working with scientists, engineers, technicians, and designers.
- Sufficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment.
Additional qualifications at the SES.2 level
- Comprehensive knowledge of, and broad experience in development of embedded controls, data acquisition, and computer interfacing including LabVIEW.
- Experience and proficiency with the systems and software engineering process for generation of moderately complex to complex requirements, design documents, configuration control and preparation of test plans and user documentation.
- Comprehensive knowledge of real-time controls hardware and timing systems and broad experience in the development of distributed control system architectures.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering.
- Experience in the use of National Instruments cRIO hardware; object-oriented programming design and languages (e.g., C++, Java); software programming in configuration management environments (e.g., CVS, Git, Jira, BitBucket).
- Certification in LabVIEW development by National Instruments
- Knowledge of lasers, pulsed power, robotics, instrumentation, and process engineering.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.