Refine Search Clear All
Academic Graduate Appointee - Trace Element Analysis
Students | livermore, CA | 04/15/2021
Job Code: 710.0 Academic Graduate Appointee Ex
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Academic Graduate Appointee
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for an Academic Graduate Appointee to perform sample preparation for trace element analysis by both quadrupole inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry (Q-ICP-MS) and sector field inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry (SF-ICP-MS). Your work involves sample digestions and dilution preparation of a variety of sample types in a clean-room laboratory setting and elemental and isotopic analysis using Q-ICP-MS. This opportunity is in the Chemical and Isotopic Sciences Group in the Nuclear and Chemicals Sciences Division (NACS).
In this role you will
- Perform sample preparation of many types of sample matrices for trace element analysis by Q-ICP-MS and SF-ICP-MS. Sample preparation includes sample digestions and dilutions.
- Optimize instrument performance and set-up analytical runs on a Q-ICP-MS.
- Maintain an accurate and detailed laboratory notebook to ensure results are properly annotated and organized for reports.
- Maintain a stock of clean labware necessary to support sample preparation, including re-ordering of general lab supplies.
- Manage sample disposal to appropriate waste stream.
- Collaborate with group members and the principal investigator on multiple projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Geochemistry, Chemistry or related discipline.
- Experience with sample digestion techniques using concentrated acids.
- Experience with clean room environments.
- Experience with critical data record-keeping in a laboratory environment.
- Experience using Microsoft Excel
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills necessary to work in a collaborative research environment and to document and present research results.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.