Refine Search Clear All
Global Security Deputy Principal Associate Director for Operations - Active Security Clearance Required
Business Operations | livermore, CA | 04/19/2021
Job Code: TSM.3 Technical Manager 3
Organization: Global Security
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Deputy Principal Associate Director for Operations (DPAD/OPS). This position is a direct report to the Principal Associate Director (PAD) for Global Security (GS). You will manage operational matters for GS related to Contract Assurance , Information Technology (IT), and Business and Infrastructure. You will also be responsible for representing the PAD on institutional and external committees and working groups that span a broad spectrum of operational, safety, and security issues. You will collaborate with the programmatic, scientific and operations managers across the Laboratory to deliver operations and services in an effective and cost-efficient manner, and ensure GS provides the systems and support necessary to conduct, document and report contract assurance activities. You will routinely interact with a broad range of high-level internal and external contacts, including GS senior management, laboratory senior management, the Laboratory Field Office (LFO), and other directorates and external agencies, on a variety of formal and informal audits. You will directly supervise and/or provide management and leadership oversight to a team of support personnel (approximately 65 FTE), and will execute the PAD’s annual operations budget for those activities listed above (approximately $11M). This position is in the Global Security Principal Directorate.
In this role, you will
- Actively participate as a member of the GS senior management team.
- Lead the GS senior management team in formulating, implementing, and monitoring the directorate’s strategic operational plans. Integrate directorate oversight with program technical and operational needs to ensure GS operations anticipate and respond to mission requirements.
- Develop and execute Operations plans and budgets; establish and maintain cost-effective, compliant programs in support of the GS and LLNL/LLNS mission.
- Responsible for leadership and management of assurance functions for GS, including assessments, corrective action tracking, causal analyses, incident investigation, ORPS reporting, Lessons Learned and Quality.
- Provide oversight and operations staff support for all GS laboratories/experimental and response capabilities, including the Select Agent Center, the Forensics Science Center, Nuclear Emergency Support Teams, and Strategic Rollup Zones.
- Establish appropriate metrics to continually raise directorate operating standards and ensure the deployment of approved business tools, systems, processes, and procedures to senior staff and program management.
- Represent GS on institutional policymaking bodies and task forces pertaining to operations, e.g., the Institutional Operations Review Board (IORB), Work Control Review Board, the Institutional IT Governance Board, the Biogovernance Committee, Infrastructure Stakeholders Advisory Group (SAG), Monthly Asset Plan Group (MAP).
- Oversee and support the IT Manager in providing IT services for unclassified and classified systems and networks.
- Oversee facility activities and processes involving Work Control, safety basis documentation, facility safety plans, conduct of operations matrices, configuration management, access control, and self-help.
- Oversee directorate property management functions, and Technical Release Representatives, systems and activities.
- Lead the Global Security Operations Review Board (ORB), the decision-making authority for operational issues in GS.
- Assist the PAD and others members of the management team on ad hoc and recurring special projects, frequently involving sensitive issues.
- Manage operations and business functions safely, securely, and in compliance with applicable standards, regulatory requirements, and DOE and NNSA directives.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at the time if hire.
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering, or scientific discipline, or equivalent education and related experience with extensive work experience managing experimental operations in classified environments resolving complex problems and developing, planning and coordinating solutions.
- Extensive senior level programmatic or operations management experience with a successful record of meeting operations requirements while delivering on program commitments.
- Extensive management, technical, administrative, and leadership skills and experience that enable building positive, trust-based relationships.
- Extensive experience in organizational problem-solving, decision-making and leadership skills necessary to independently anticipate, analyze, advise, counsel, approve appropriate actions, and implement solutions to highly complex issues having significant impact.
- Senior level leadership and management skills and experience, both in setting strategic direction and motivating people, as well as managing programs, projects, or organizations, to influence the development of institutional goals and objectives.
- Expert communication skills, over a wide range of topic areas, both written and verbal, necessary to effectively explain, facilitate, present, negotiate, advise, and influence all levels of management, to both internal and external organizations, such as, DOE, NNSA.
- Experience working across organizational lines as a recognized consensus builder with strong customer service skills.
- Advanced experience interacting with DOE and NNSA Field Office management with a positive end result.
- Experience executing performance management, disciplinary actions, and directing and monitoring the work of others.
- Knowledge of and experience implementing compliance related aspects of federal, state and DOE regulations and directives.
- Broad experience managing issues that affect facility management, safety, security, and regulatory compliance effectively.
- Experience determining staffing, budget management and organizational development needs of a large organization.
- Broad experience applying independent audit techniques to ensure compliances and mission critical deliverables and experience responding to internal and external auditors and reviewers.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a strong safety and security culture in the workplace as a priority while still meeting institutional requirements.
Qualifications We Desire
- Advanced degree in an engineering, or scientific discipline, or equivalent education and experience with significant work experience in managing experimental operations in classified environments.
- Advanced experience interacting with senior LLNL, DOE, and NNSA Field Office management, middle and senior management levels within and outside the Laboratory with a positive end result.
- Advanced working knowledge of GS/LLNL programs, policies and procedures, and applicable DOE Orders and regulatory requirements.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at time of hire. Also, you must have the ability to obtain and maintain Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) access. Please note that your current active Q or Top Secret clearance with DOE or another agency does not guarantee DOE SCI access approval; if you are denied access, you may be subject to re-investigation of your existing Q or Top Secret clearance.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now