Refine Search Clear All
Explosive Safety Professional
Environmental, Safety & Health | livermore, CA | 04/15/2021
Job Code: TSS.2 Technical Services & Ops MTS 2 / TSS.3 Technical Services & Ops MTS 3
Organization: ESH and Quality
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance with Sensitive Compartmented Information access (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for an Explosive Safety Professional within the Environment, Safety & Health (ES&H) Directorate to provide comprehensive explosives safety support to Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) programs and operations requiring a broad application of practices and procedures. You will interact with all levels of personnel and management from the ES&H Directorate, LLNL programs, and external regulatory agencies.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide comprehensive explosive safety support to LLNL programs and operations in specific areas of assignment.
- Write and review technical reports and review and evaluate new health and safety (H&S) standards, procedures, drawings, and diagrams for conformance to DOE standards and other applicable requirements.
- Conduct safety inspections of explosives activities and evaluate hazards for compliance with Department of Energy (DOE), Department of Transportation (DOT) and LLNL codes and standards.
- Critique facility and experimental designs and installations as well as conduct safety inspections of buildings, facilities, equipment, and apparatus related to explosives operations to identify safety-related deficiencies. Develop solutions and furnish program personnel and management with recommendations to rectify issues.
- Review results of H&S compliance audits and inspections with management, provide recommendations for correction (and prevention of recurrence) of non-compliance findings, and identify necessary follow-up measures to ensure future compliance.
- Advise Laboratory scientists, engineers, and other programmatic personnel in developing solutions to moderately complex safety-related problems and provide technical explosives safety support.
- Investigate explosives accidents/incidents for possible causes, prepare necessary documentation and recommend appropriate measures to eliminate or mitigate reoccurrence, and provide emergency response support to safety incidents on-site.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the TSS.3 level
- Provide advanced explosives safety support to LLNL programs and operations in specific areas of assignment; develop and present safety courses in explosives safety or related topics.
- Develop, write, and present Explosives Safety Site Plans for new, refurbished and current explosives operating sites.
- Advise Laboratory scientists, engineers, and other programmatic personnel in developing solutions to complex safety-related problems.
- Mentor less experienced H&S personnel in explosives safety.
- Ability to maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in a scientific, technical or health and safety related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience in explosives safety applicable to laboratory research as well as related state and federal regulations and other consensus standards.
- Experience preparing safety plans and technical reports (e.g., Facility Safety Plans, Safety Analysis Report (SAR), Discipline Action Plans etc.) conducting safety audits and inspections, and successfully working potential compliance issues with programmatic customers, external inspectors and regulators.
- Experience providing emergency response and participation in the investigation of incidents or accidents involving hazards relating to industrial safety.
- Analytical, decision-making and problem-solving skills to evaluate, interpret, negotiate, recommend and implement actions/solutions for moderately complex problems.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and to present and communicate technical information to all levels of management.
- Effective organizational skills with detail orientation necessary to handle multiple moderately complex tasks in a demanding environment with conflicting priorities, tight and changing deadlines, and frequent interruptions while providing high-level customer service and good follow through.
- Experience working independently and in a team environment with a broad cross-section of people and organizations, managing complex projects, and meeting schedules.
Additional qualifications at the TSS.3 level
- Advanced knowledge and significant experience in explosives safety with advanced knowledge of related state and federal regulations and other consensus standards.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and to present and communicate complex technical information to all levels of management.
- Advanced analytical, decision-making and problem-solving skills to evaluate, interpret, negotiate, recommend and implement actions/solutions for complex health and safety problems.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree in scientific, technical, or Occupational Safety, Industrial Hygiene, or other health and safety related field.
- Experience with inspection, maintenance, manufacturing and storage of explosives/weapons systems as well as knowledge of DOE orders.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.