Refine Search Clear All
Mechanical Engineering Analyst
Engineering | livermore, CA | 04/19/2021
Job Code: SES.1 Science & Engineering MTS 1 / SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have multiple openings for Mechanical Engineering Analysts. You will provide engineering support for the enduring and future nuclear weapons stockpile, including engineering design expertise; fabrication and assembly, systems engineering; surveillance of aging components; engineering analysis and computational simulation; and engineering testing. You will develop computational models, conduct analyses, and perform research and development in advanced simulation capabilities, using state of the art computational techniques that leverage high performance supercomputers. These positions are in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), supporting the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Principal Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Contribute to the development of models of mechanical systems (especially finite element models), through geometry and mesh creation, selection of appropriate material models and properties, and application of suitable boundary conditions.
- Perform structural, thermal or thermo-mechanical, modal, dynamic, hydrodynamic, and/or multi-physics analyses; perform post-processing; and present and document results.
- Support analysis workflow and quality practices, including workflow optimization, process standardization, configuration management of analysis files and software, and verification and validation (V&V) of models.
- Leverage analysis to support design, testing, modification, and optimization of mechanical components and systems.
- Follow established procedures under general direction and prepare safety and engineering documentation as required.
- Work with other analysts, code developers, engineers, and subject matter experts to solve technical problems.
- Report technical approaches and publish as appropriate.
- Support programmatic deliverables with occasional travel, as necessary.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.2 level
- Participate in formal and informal design reviews as required.
- Work independently and with teams to solve moderately complex engineering analysis problems.
- Support the development of new engineering analysis capabilities, such as advanced material models, novel boundary conditions or contact definitions, methods of coupling codes, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Civil Engineering or Materials Science, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Fundamental knowledge of elasticity, plasticity, failure, and heat transfer in engineering materials/structures.
- Fundamental knowledge of material properties and associated analytical models used in mechanical engineering problem solving.
- Experience with finite element analysis (FEA) and finite element method (FEM) using structural, dynamic, hydrodynamic, thermal, and/or fluid, computer codes such as ABAQUS, ANSYS, LSDYNA, NASTRAN, CTH, ALE3D, PATRAN, FEMAP, ParaDyn, NIKE3D, DYNA3D, Diablo, Cubit, or HyperMesh.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a multidisciplinary team with effective organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Sufficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to interact with a multidisciplinary research team, author technical and scientific reports and papers, document analyses, and deliver scientific presentations.
- Ability to travel.
Additional qualifications at the SES.2 level
- Master’s degree in Mechanical or Civil Engineering, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience in one or more of the following areas: mechanical behavior of materials, structural mechanics, failure mechanics, dynamics, modal response, heat transfer, or thermo-mechanical response of engineering systems, and experience participating in formal and informal design reviews.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
Qualifications We Desire
- Programming experience, especially in Python, Java, C, Fortran, Perl, and/or Matlab.
- Experience in material, modal, vibration, impact, thermal, or hydrodynamic test-related activities such as experimental design, instrumentation, data processing, or comparison of test and analysis data.
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: advanced constitutive models (for metals, composites, ceramics, foams, geological materials, or polymers); continuum mechanics and material model development; energetic materials (i.e. high explosives and propellants); magneto-hydrodynamics; transportation safety analysis (i.e. impact or fire); uncertainty quantification; statistics; mechanical design codes such as ProE/Creo; fluid analysis codes (i.e. FLUENT or STAR CCM); and/or nuclear weapon system mechanical design details and materials.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.