Refine Search Clear All
National Ignition Facility-Postdoctoral Experimental Physicist
Engineering | livermore, CA | 04/15/2021
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: NIF and Photon Science
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have multiple openings for Postdoctoral Experimental Physicists to execute experiments, develop unique diagnostics and diagnostic techniques, and lead frontier research in the areas of ICF and HED physics, laboratory astrophysics, plasma physics, high intensity laser-matter interactions, nuclear science, and high-pressure physics. Areas of active research are laser-plasma instabilities, deep nonlinear hydrodynamic instabilities in compressible media and other compressible turbulent phenomena, the response of solids at extreme pressure and strain rate, high Mach-number shocks, radiation, heat and particle transport in plasmas, x-ray spectroscopy, diffraction and scattering. This position is in the High Energy Density Scientific and Technology (HED S&T) Program in the National Ignition Facility and Photon Science Principal (NIF&PS) Directorate.
In this role, you will
- Research, design and execute x-ray and laser driven experiments at NIF, at the OMEGA laser facility, and at the on-site Jupiter laser facility.
- Design, field, and coordinate optical, x-ray and nuclear diagnostics.
- Author and present technical and scientific reports, presentations, and publications for internal and external audiences including the DOE community and at conferences.
- Collaborate with scientists and researchers to accomplish research goals.
- Coordinate team resources and plan experimental campaigns.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists, internally and externally to the laboratory.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in plasma physics, hydrodynamics, shock physics, spectroscopy, condensed matter, nuclear physics, dynamic material science, or related discipline.
- Experience in experimental physics in one of the following areas: laser-plasma interactions, hydrodynamics, radiation driven hydrodynamics, radiation transport, condensed matter, nuclear physics or high energy density experiments.
- Comprehensive analytical and experimental skills.
- Experience developing, calibrating and fielding x-ray, optical or nuclear diagnostics and associated analysis techniques.
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills to author technical and scientific reports, publications, and invited papers, and deliver scientific presentations.
- Effective interpersonal skills necessary to collaborate and work in a team environment.
- Ability to perform independent research.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with laser or pulsed power sources.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.