Refine Search Clear All
Senior Cybersecurity Reverse Engineer - Senior
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 04/15/2021
Job Code: SES.4 Science & Engineering MTS 4 / SES.5 Science & Engineering MTS 5
Organization: Global Security
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have multiple openings for Senior Cybersecurity Reverse Engineer with a background in cybersecurity with emphasis on software assurance. You will provide leadership and subject matter expertise in the area of cybersecurity for critical infrastructure systems and civilian networks. You will leverage LLNL’s software assurance capabilities to enhance the security of software and firmware that resides in our critical networks and industrial control systems devices. You will participate in strategy and business development for the Cyber and Infrastructure Resilience (CIR) program in the Global Security Principal Associate Directorate. These positions are programmatically in Global Security’s Energy and Homeland Security (E) Program and administratively will report to the payroll supervisor of the hiring organization.
These positions will be filled at either the SES.4 or SES.5 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
In this role, you will
- Lead and support a diverse range of highly complex research projects requiring creative use of innovative methods for development and implementation of new, automated software assurance tools.
- Responsible for ensuring the growth of existing and development of software assurance capabilities at LLNL.
- Provide subject matter expertise in the development new tools for software assurance and analysis for binaries and source code for devices residing in our critical networks and infrastructure.
- Identify new applications and opportunities for and help create vision and technical direction for software assurance capabilities for critical networks and infrastructure cybersecurity working with LLNL’s program leadership.
- Develop new program growth opportunities through interactions with existing and potential sponsors and the development of research proposals.
- Develop, drive, and execute new ideas and approaches to meet the sponsor and project needs.
- Mentor others and utilize technical expertise to attract and retain projects, programs and funding.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.5 Level
- Guide and provide scientific and technical direction for a portfolio of highly complex technical tasks and projects that consistently require the application of creativity and innovation; set broad research/project vision and strategy and influence technical direction for Laboratory, self and/or others wielding extensive influence with senior management and policy makers.
- Provide highly innovative solutions to abstract complex problems/ideas, convert them into useable algorithms/software modules, and provide solutions that require in-depth analysis of multiple factors and the creative use of established methods.
- Responsible for high-level goal setting, strategic planning, directing and accomplishing project/program goals and objectives significantly impacting major Laboratory programs and contributing to the revolutionary advancement of knowledge.
Master’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, or related field or the equivalent combination of education and significant related experience.
Significant experience in highly advanced program analysis of source code, binaries, and firmware.
Significant experience with hardware or software debuggers and/or with static disassemblers and decompilers.
Subject matter expertise in formal verification methods.
Expert knowledge of instruction set architectures, such as ARM, x86/x64, PowerPC and/or MIPS.
Experience with advanced firmware extraction from devices.
Significant experience effectively leading teams and creating technical direction and vision, writing research proposals and securing sponsor funding.
Expert ability to communicate comprehensive knowledge effectively across multi-disciplinary teams and to non-cyber experts, and advise senior management and/or external sponsors, and proficient interpersonal skills necessary to effectively collaborate and lead in a team environment.
Additional qualifications, at the SES.5 Level
Expert knowledge of state-of-the-art technologies in software assurance.
Extensive experience and demonstrated ability to plan the integration and implementation of new programs and/or operational best practices.
Extensive project leadership experience and demonstrated ability to apply, lead and develop cutting-edge principles and research, and work independently while effectively managing concurrent technical tasks with competing priorities.
Qualifications We Desire
- Ph.D. degree in computer science, computer engineering, or a related field and several years of relevant experience.
- Experience with the Juliet Test Suite and with industrial control systems software and hardware. Knowledge of one or more of the following computer science disciplines: embedded systems, scientific data analysis, machine learning, systems programming, software engineering, and high performance computing.
- Demonstrated ability to secure sponsor funding through winning proposals and sponsor relationships. Previous experience working Department of Energy, Department of Homeland Security, Department of Defense, or a utility company.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.