Refine Search Clear All
Nuclear Material Control & Accountability Measurement Technologist/Sr. Technologist - ACTIVE CLEARANCE REQUIRED
Engineering | livermore, CA | 04/15/2021
Job Code: 502.2 Scientific Technologist / 502.3 Sr Scientific Technologist
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Nuclear Material Control & Accountability Measurement Technologist/Sr. Technologist. You will provide general to advanced technical support for Nuclear Material Control and Accountability (MC&A) non-destructive assay (NDA) measurements and analysis in radiological facilities with elevated safety and security requirements. This position is direct funded through the Security Organization by NNSA NA-70 and is in the MC&A Group within the National Security Engineering Division (NSED).
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Qualify as an Associate Plutonium Fissile Material Handler and perform nuclear material measurements with MC&A NDA measurement equipment.
- Provide general technical support to identify and diagnose problems with instrumentation and the execution of procedures, and to perform repairs and maintenance on NDA instruments.
- Participate in National Training Center (NTC) certified Los Alamos National Laboratory courses in nuclear material NDA measurement techniques for MC&A (e.g., gamma, neutron, and calorimetric methods).
- Interpret MC&A NDA measurement data and perform basic statistical analysis of measurement system data to verify systems are operating within measurement control.
- Obtain knowledge of MC&A requirements and processes to interface between MC&A and programmatic users and nuclear material custodians.
- Perform research to resolve measurement anomalies and moderately complex technical problems.
- Administer nuclear material physical inventories and scale/test weight calibration program and associated contractor procured work services contract.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 502.3 level
- Train personnel in the use of MC&A NDA measurement equipment and perform technical reviews of measurement procedure use.
- Qualify as a Certified Plutonium Fissile Material Handler
- Obtain certification as DOE Safeguards and Security Central Training Academy (CTA) instructor.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at the time of hire.
- Associate degree in Health and Safety or related scientific field, or equivalent combination of education and some experience related to MC&A functions.
- Experience using standard computer applications for database entry, result calculation, and report generation.
- Skills and knowledge sufficient to meet prerequisites for NTC certified MC&A courses (e.g., nuclear material control, accounting, and inventory).
- Knowledge of statistical methods for establishing measurement control criteria that can be applied to NDA measurement system instrumentation.
- Ability to participate in training such as on the job (OJT) instruction with intermediate technical skills, knowledge, and abilities such as operation of MC&A NDA instrumentation.
- Ability to administer Scale and Balance and test weight certified calibration program including maintaining the certification vendor procured work services contract.
- Ability to conduct accountable nuclear material inventories in multiple areas to meet schedule and federal requirements.
- Ability to become a Certified Fissile Material Handler, which requires medical qualifications to wear respiratory and personal protection equipment.
- Effective written and verbal communication (e.g., presentations, etc.) as well as interpersonal, and teamwork skills and abilities.
Additional qualifications at the 502.3 level
- Experience with Microsoft Excel macros (i.e., Visual Basic).
- Significant related experience to perform independently with advanced technical ability and participate in specialized training.
- Ability to provide MC&A NDA measurement technical leadership for portable NDA instruments (e.g., maintenance and development).
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.