Refine Search Clear All
Radioactive and Hazardous Waste Management Training Manager
Environmental, Safety & Health | livermore, CA | 04/15/2021
Job Code: TSS.3 Technical Services & Ops MTS 3
Organization: Weapons and Complex Integ
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Radioactive and Hazardous Waste Management (RHWM) Training Manager supporting the (Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) Radioactive and Hazardous Waste operations. The selected candidate will work within regulatory requirements to meet operational demand using his/her knowledge of nuclear and radioactive and hazardous waste management practices and requirements along with instructional methodologies to assure RHWM personnel are qualified to conduct activities in accordance with U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA), Department of Transportation (DOT), Defense and Nuclear Technologies (IATA) , California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC) and LLNL training requirements at both Site 300 and LLNL’s main site. You will also interface with the LLNL training community and off-site DOE organizations and vendors to support both on-site and off-site work. This position resides within the Weapons Complex Integration Directorate Operations Support organization.
In this role you will
- Supervise a team of technical training specialists/ administrators in assessing program and facility needs, and oversee development and maintenance of training courses and curricula that meet or exceed DOE, RCRA, DOT, IATA and other Federal and State codes & regulations while utilizing a variety of innovative training modalities in the form of interactive classroom, on the job training, and online training required reading,
- Assure compliance with regulatory and LLNL training requirements applicable to the treatment, storage, and disposal of hazardous, radioactive, and nuclear waste and the requirements associated with the facilities where those activities take place.
- Manage a continuing education and training program that utilizes core training, required reading, and other interventions that support organizational strategies and operations.
- Analyze training program effectiveness using course and organizational performance metrics, assessment results, inspections and event analyses and communicate findings and recommended and implement continuous improvement strategies.
- Conduct regular assessments and inspections of the RHWM training program to evaluate compliance with nuclear,RCRA/Permit and hazmat requirements. Recommend and implement corrective actions.
- Write, implement, and maintain plans and procedures to support the RHWM training and required reading programs.
- Implement and support the operational drill program for the facility(s) and personnel under RHWM. Support the institutional Emergency Preparedness Hazards Assessment drill program.
- Manage third-party vendors and their training materials to ensure compliance with operational and regulatory requirements.
- Other duties as assigned
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s of Science in instructional technology, environmental science or engineering, or other related degree, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Advanced experience developing and delivering technical training and curricula to a diverse population.
- Advanced experience training and/or coaching others in Environmental Safety and Health (ES&H) topics, the safe management and handling of hazardous or radioactive materials, or other related technical area.
- Advanced experience using computer software applications enlisted for training development.
- Advanced analytical, decision making and project planning skills.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to manage scientific and technical communications across multidisciplinary teams.
- Advanced interpersonal, leadership and team building skills necessary to clarify issues and resolve problems with tact, discretion, and mature judgment.
Qualifications We Desire
- Working knowledge of DOE Order 426.2 .
- Experience designing and developing training programs in a regulated environment.
- Working knowledge of Environment, Safety, and Health requirements related to RCRA Permits, worker safety and health, or the management radioactive and/or other hazardous materials.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now