Refine Search Clear All
Actinide Chemistry, Metallurgy - Research Scientist
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 04/15/2021
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Flexible Term
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Materials Scientist to perform a full range of moderate to complex research in the area of actinide science and powder metallurgy. You will actively participate with and be an integral member of an interdisciplinary team responsible for conducting and supporting research in actinide chemistry and materials science. This position is in the Actinides and Lanthanides Group within the Materials Science Division.
This position will be filled at either the SES.2 or SES.3 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Perform powder handling, mixing, blending, milling, and processing in an inert atmosphere glovebox.
- Handle hazardous, flammable, and radiological materials.
- Maintain laboratory infrastructure such as vacuum pumps, pressure relief devices, compressed gas cylinders, and eye washes.
- Perform laboratory work with minimal supervision and provide solutions to problems of moderate complexity.
- Communicate research and process development results in meetings, presentations, or documents.
- Contribute to and actively participate in the development of the hydride-dehydride process to meet sponsor needs.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the SES.3 Level
- Conduct advanced research and development on process parameters effect on powder microstructure and mechanical properties.
- Characterize and analyze data of the process powders. (e.g., SEM, TEM, XRD, TGA, PSD).
- Document results in technical reports, scientific publications, and present results at scientific conferences for stakeholders, program managers, and to the public.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, materials science or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience with standard data analysis techniques.
- Ability to lift 10 kgs regularly.
- Ability to perform work in a respirator and coveralls.
- Ability to work independently, as well as a member of a team.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to interact with a diverse set of scientists, engineers, and other technical and administrative staff within a collaborative research and development environment at LLNL.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- MS or PhD in chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, materials science, or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant experience in microstructure or powder characterization, solidification dynamics, and surface reactions kinetics.
- Advanced knowledge of actinide chemistry.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience in hydrogen corrosion and hydride-dehydride processes.
- Experience in hazardous materials handling such as air-sensitive or radioactive materials.
- Experience in metallurgy and metal processing.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.